Rod blank comparisons - Fly Fishing Forum
the Rod Rack Rod Builder's Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2005, 02:31 PM
Flats Rat

Rod blank comparisons

I've been toying around with the idea of a fly-rod designed specifically for kayak fishing over deeper water. The challenge, as I discovered in Baja, is the lack of lifting power in traditional fly rod blanks combined with the fact that you are only six inches above the water surface. With a standard 9ft 12wt rod, even getting a small tuna to hand is a major issue and "high sticking" is unavoidable - tuna inevitably end up directly under the boat. Big fish over shallower water are less of an issue since there is less scope forn them to "sound".

What I'm really interested in is comparing blanks rated for AFTM line classes with other blank designs - spin rod / bait casting etc. I have found a list of grains/grams/ounces equivalents for the AFTM scale up to 12wt. How does that comapre to the casting weight ranges specified for a spin rod?

For example:

A 12wt rod rates 380 grains (+/- 12) = 24.62 grams = 0.86 ounces. How would a spin rod blank rated to cast 1/4 - 3/4 ounces perform with a 12wt line?

Now I know there is a lot of pure science in rod blank designs (taper, graduated wall thickness, "modulus" etc.) and the physics of casting a flyline versus a weighted object - but I'm not looking for a distance casting rod - this is a Kayak rod. The first prototype will probably be around 7ft in length. I can cast a 9wt line 60ft with the tip section of my old 10ft spin rod so I know there is plenty of scope here.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has done any comparisons or has first hand knowledge.

I already have a good idea of the blank I will use but thought I'd get a few more ideas first.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:32 AM
Flats Rat

Well, I got the answer I was looking for over on one of the rod building forums.

It seems that starting with line weight (aftm) and dividing by 16 you get an approx. comparison for an equivalent casting/spin rod blank in ounces.

12wt/16 = 0.75. Therefore a spin rod blank rated to throw 3/4 ounce will make a reasonable job of throwing a 12wt line.

I am seriously looking at a Cape Fear Hextek blanks.

Does anyone have any experience with these blanks?
Old 03-20-2005, 03:30 PM

NT

don't know anything about the Cape Fear blanks, tho they sound intriquing.

I do know that the loomis hotshot series are a mighty fine blank. I used to build the magnum taper HS 1021 (they still make it). This was one very powerful rod. I've caught 40lbs salmon in swift water with this rod and still had power to spare...

recently i've aquired the loomis HS9000 - slightly lighter blank - in the two piece model. I hope to someday build this into a fly rod...

tws
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.