Proposals for changes in fishing rules - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2005, 09:55 AM

Proposals for changes in fishing rules

Several months ago we had a discussion about the management of steelhead on the Skagit and the dissatisfaction with the current regulations. I mentioned that the upcoming year was the latest window for proposing changes. It is now time see the following for the process, forms and time line:

wdfw.wa.gov/fish/regs/rule_proposals/index.htm

Tight lines
S malma
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2005, 10:14 AM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Smalma,

I have a simple question for you where the answer might influence my rule change proposal. I understand the answer might not be a simple one, but perhaps you could shed a little light on this for me.

Why is the middle Skagit (Concrete to Sedro Woolley) closed on March 15?

Thanks,

Kerry
Old 03-28-2005, 07:31 PM
Jolly Buddha

Smalma

It's just about ready

THE NEWER CHIEF of E.P.

Real Steelhead Don't Eat Pellets!!
Old 03-28-2005, 10:30 PM
Pullin' Thread

Smalma,

Mine will be done by the end of this week and will be for the changes on the Sauk mentioned in the aforementioned discussion.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:55 PM

Kerry -
As I recall when the Skagit was made CnR (it was a couple years after the Sauk) there was a concern about those wild steelhead that spawn in the "middle River" tributaries. The feeling at the time was that those fish spawned earlier than those up river and tended to hold in the main river off the mouths of the creeks waiting to spawn.

This was based on the infor from anglers who when the river was open for the take of steelhead in April had very good on those fish. Whether those concerns are valid or not remains unknown. The fish spawning in those tribs do tend to have earlier spawning than those in the main stem and the upper river tribs. It is unclear whether that is due to them being a different population or the fact that those lower tribs tend to fed by rain water rather than snow melt thus they have lower flows later in the spring (May/June) limiting access for the spawning adult steelhead.

My sense is that it is the later case though for those that believe that each main stem reach and trib contains separate steelhead population the closure makes good sense.

Another issue that is sometimes include in this discussion is the enforcement question and whether it is reasonable to have that wide of area open.

Tight lines
S malma
Old 03-28-2005, 11:01 PM
Jolly Buddha

I beleive Russ and I have the same thing in mind?

THE NEWER CHIEF of E.P.

Old 03-29-2005, 01:49 PM
Pullin' Thread

Brian,

I suspect we do. I'd like to see the Sauk river and its anadromous tribs managed as wild fish sanctuary water with no hatchery planting, C&R, and selective gear rules.

Kerry,

As much as I like to fish the middle Skagit, I really don't want to see it opened during the spring C&R fishery. Too much water for fisheries enforcement to cover and as a result too much opportunity for poaching (bonking wild fish).
Old 03-29-2005, 03:02 PM
Chief of E.P.

Russ,

Not sure that I disagree with you but if I may play devil's advocate a bit here, wouldn't having the middle river open at least put some eyes on the river? As it is now, once it closes, only poachers are left.

'tip
Old 03-29-2005, 03:27 PM
Pullin' Thread

'Tip,

I don't think having the middle Skagit open would reduce poaching. Instead, I think that the number of wild fish bonked would increase because the local folks who believe they have right to bonk any fish landed during an open season would be out fishing and bonking regardless of whether there are other fishers around or not. Many of these folks right now are of the opinion that it is perfectly legal for them to bonk a wild fish (despite the Skagit being closed to wild fish bonking) since the tribes take them and besides, didn't the state fish & wildlife commission pass a regulation that allows a person to legally bonk a single wild fish/year? is their thinking.

This is why I am of the opinion that opening the middle Skagit to C&R in March/April would increase the kill of wild fish.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:30 PM
Chief of E.P.

Russ,

You could be right. It is one of those theory things that is hard to test. I say bonk them all! (the bonkers that is)

'tip
Old 03-29-2005, 04:13 PM
Pullin' Thread

'Tip,

Old 03-29-2005, 04:15 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

I think the poachers are going to poach no matter what the regs say. I would venture to say that some of the folks that live along the middle river still have their lines in the water.

I would tend to think that protecting the fish that use the middle river and its tribs to spawn from large numbers of anglers is a good enough reason to maintain the current closure.

Thanks for your reply Smalma.

Kerry
Old 03-29-2005, 08:48 PM
Jolly Buddha

Yep, Russ

That's what I was thinking

THE NEWER CHIEF of E.P.

Old 03-30-2005, 12:33 PM

FT and Brian,

I thought all hatchery planting on the Sauk was stopped a couple of years ago. Is that true?

I am trying not to be Cynical at such a young age but even though I will submit my purposals we all know that the department and commission even though they work their tails off and do what they think is best doesn't really care too for public input we have seen that the last couple of cycles. But I guess we have to keep trying and keep getting the message out there that the majority of anglers want certian things.

JJ
Old 03-30-2005, 01:59 PM
Jolly Buddha

JJ

There has been Hatchery plants in the Sauk in the last three years

THE NEWER CHIEF of E.P.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.