Gluing felt soles - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2005, 02:58 PM

Gluing felt soles

It's time to put on new felt on my Patagonia wading shoes. I got a pair of Simms felts; instructions say to put them on with contact cement. Fine, except the old felts are not worn uniformly - they're much thinner, i.e. gone near the edges and still 1/4"+ in the middle. Should I try to remove, or at least even out the thickness of old felts before gluing new ones on? If so how? Belt sander???

If anybody's done this befor eand could share a few hints, I'd much appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2005, 03:12 PM
Pullin' Thread

I've replaced felt soles many times. The easiest way to get rid of the remnants of the old felt is by using a wire brush wheel on an electric drill. This makes quick work of taking off the old felt. A belt sander can be used, but be careful because it cuts a lot faster than the wire brush wheel on an electric drill. And the drill can be finessed through varying the speek to help you remove only what you want.

I used to use Barge cement to glue the new felts on; however, Gorilla Glue is much stronger and easier to use. It is a contact cement that is carried by the big box Home Depot and Lowe's as well as most local Ace Hardware stores.

Stuff the shoes with newspaper, put the glue on the felt, put glue on the shoe bottoms, when tacky, place the felt soles on the shoes. Then use Duc Tape to hold the new felt soles in place until the glue dries (I leave mine overnight). After the glue has dried, trim the sole to fit your shoes with a sharp utility knife.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:26 PM
Spey'd and lovin it!!!

Easy with the Gorilla.

Oddly enough i just did this over the easter weekend to a 3 month old pair of Redingtons. The duct tape flytyer mentioned works well because you can apply pressure over a broad area. The only concern i would have would be with Gorilla glue. It will work, and work well, its just that it is an expanding poly glue and if you heap it on it will expand and ooze(sp?) out from under the felt and will glue the tape to the sole, boot etc . Practice on a piece of carpet to know how much to use so you dont get into one he** of a mess. Thats my 0.02
I used Marine goop on mine this weekend. Good stuff too.

P.S. Curious as to why you went with a simms felt and not another Patagonia??
Does it fit the contours o.k.???
Good luck
Salmon Chaser
><)))*>
Letters to a Salmon Fisher's Sons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.