Spring tonic - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2005, 08:33 AM

Spring tonic

A little spring tonic from a local spring stream.
http://www.glooskapandthefrog.org/Br...out%20Rise.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2005, 03:35 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Beautiful! Refreshing not just visually but in knowing that wild brookies still survive in surprising places.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 04-03-2005, 10:50 AM

Awesome!

The way the "marbled" pattern on the back and the color of the fins match the Stream bottom. In a glance, she would be......just another tree branch on the bed. Now thats Stealth!
I'm jazzed! Thanks Tim
DH
Old 04-04-2005, 10:59 AM

Great photos!

Tim,

Those photographs are wonderful. Warren & I should get you down on Red Brook to take some photos of the Salters returning home.

Regards
Michael

Last edited by Salter; 04-04-2005 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:33 AM

It is amazing that some of these places have survived. Those brookies are about four inches long. The stream is about two feet wide and originates from a spring buried beneath an old garbage dump. It runs through a narrow strip of woods for about a mile, and is sandwiched between two intensly developed areas. It certainly defies convential wisdom and logic, but it's there, undiscovered and undocumented.

The apex aquatic predators appear to be five inch redfin pickeral, which cruise around like mini u boats. When I was there a couple weeks ago winter stoneflies where hatching. I was laying there on the stream bank picking the stoneflies of my arm and feeding them to the brookies, cool stuff.

Michael, I would like to do some picture taking at Red Brook, have not been down there in a long time. This little stream may have salters as well, at least the connection is there.

Last edited by timwatts; 04-05-2005 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
It really astounds me how small a habitat it takes to support wild brookies. I'm just sitting here shaking my head!
Old 04-07-2005, 08:48 PM

Keep it up!

It's great to know grassroots activism is alive on the Taunton River. Now living in Boston, but having grown up in Southeastern MA, it's so dissapointing to me that I have to travel so far West and North to fish when I think of the potential of that River system, and others in the area.

My childhood backyard river, Shingle Island in Dartmouth, had headwaters polluted by 2 superfund sites. It was damned to create Lake Noquochoke, which now lives up to the last half of it's name, choked with nuisance vegetation from nutrient effluence. The whole system has fish consumption advisories due to high mercury and pcb levels.

Keep up the good fight! Awesome site.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
We used to fish a spring creek in Connecticut tucked in between Rts. 9 and 91. It was a couple feet deep at most and a narrow rill cutting through the grass and woods and you could step across it in most places. It was the last place you'd expect to find one. Even after all the develoment and disturbance's- home and highway construction- it survived. Back then, in the mid seventies, there were several partially consructed interchanges and unused bridges where you could hide a vehicle and sneak down into this little eden. I believe they have since completed the interchanges and I often wonder about this brook and it's trout and whether they have survived.

They are a beautiful and resilient little fish, my favorite by far.

Last edited by Chris; 04-28-2005 at 06:32 AM.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:33 AM
learning to fly

very nice pictures. but it doesnt help the fact that i am still waitting for the waters to drop so i can go out after a few of them small brookies myself.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:34 PM

Please contact me

Tim,

Please shoot me an email at:

tosinc@comcast.net

Your photography is something to be very proud of! Warren and I would love to get you down on Red Brook to shoot some film the Salters returning this spring.

All the best
Michael

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.