Tube Flies - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2005, 10:28 AM

Question Tube Flies

Iíve been tying more and more tube flies lately and was wondering who else is making them and what styles you like to tie. It seems to me that there are three styles of tube flies that have been or are becoming popular.

The British style is the first and has been around the longest. A wing that encircles the body so that no matter what angle you look at the fly you get the same view characterizes it.

The second style is the Temple dog or fatback style. This fly is characterized by a large wing of fox or goat hairí and yes, sometimes dog, that sits on top of the tube. It has become very popular in Eastern Europe.

The third is what I like to call the intruder style. The original fly was invented by Ed Ward (not on a Tube) and has been modified and bastardized by west coast fisherman into what I think is actually a new emerging style. It is characterized by dumbbell eyes and long feelers made from ostrich, rhea or thin hackle.

There are other styles but it seems to me that these 3 keep coming to the top. Below are a few I tied up; a black bear green butt, British style, a Highlander temple dog, and an Orange intruder.

So let me know what you tie on tubes and what your thoughts are on the whole thing.

Charlie.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BBGB Tube.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	4626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Highlander TD.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	4627   Click image for larger version

Name:	Orange Intruder.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	4628  
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2005, 12:44 PM

tubes

hi
I tie about 40-50 tubes a day,all difrent types of tubes from cone heads to standard and loop bottle tubes.
The standard tubes use bucktail all diffrent colours and some all round the tube and some only on two sides,to make alighter wing on the tube.

The loop bottle tubes I like to use artic fox hair for those as it is so soft and fine and a lovely action in the water.

have just recived a new material for tubes called Artic Runner,which is horse hair and it is wonderfull to use,you should try it.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:37 AM

I've been tying tube flies with greater frequency these days.

I like the looks and 'fish-ability' of Marabou Speys, Super Prawns (in a variety of colors and configurations), an original style of fly called the "Bondal-A-Bou", and traditional Hairwing'ed PNW Steelhead and Salmon flies.

In fact, the longer I tie on tubes, the more I'm convinced that there's not a single fly that's usually dressed on iron that one can't tie on a tube.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2005, 12:44 PM

Nice flies Charlie !
Sent you a PM on the Intruder I won't go public on it though as it'll start another War against certain individual (s)
Cheers
Old 10-05-2005, 06:32 PM

Hi everybody. Nice patterns Charlie.

I'm a Chilean Fly Tyer.

I would like to show a tube fly pattern to big brown trouts of Chilean and Argentinean Patagonia. Name: Clouser Minnow Tube Fly.

Regards,
Patagonian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clouser Minnow Tube Fly4ch.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	5018  
Old 10-27-2005, 11:11 PM
chromedome

Smile Just starting tubes

I recently got interested in tubes. It started with tales of improved fishing with the metal tubes for getting the fly down quickly. But mainly, I had success many years ago with a fly I used to tie based on the keel hook concept. It started with a keel hook with the hook bend straightened out and the point removed. (Earlier, I'd had problems with flies tied on an unaltered keel hook.) But the problem then became attaching a hook in an effective manner with plenty of flex in the connector. Nothing ever really worked well, and I'd never considered a tube fly version till now. But thinking the hook problem would vanish if I could come up with some kind of bent tube arrangement, I put together a system with two straight tubes lashed to a bent piece of metal rod. Of course, this is a lot of fussing around but I finally got a few tied up. Upon fishing these, however, the hook would not stay in position. I wanted it to ride up but it kept moving around. Its occurred to me that this is no problem with the first of three types of flies Charlie mentions. But for the other fly types it would be important that the hook stay in position. Particularly, if the hook drifts off to the side, as it did with my keel type tube, I would think action would suffer greatly. I know, as Charlie states, that the Temple Dog is quite popular for salmon in europe, but I would think there must be an issue with the hook drifting out of position. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
Old 10-28-2005, 09:10 AM

Hey chromedome,

I would be very interested in seeing some of your fly designs.

I have seen a few ways to deal with keeping the hook in place. One is to select a hook with the largest eye you can find so the eye of the hook will fit tightly into the junction tubing. Another method is to insert a smaller piece of junction tubing into the main piece of junction tubing to help hold the hook in place.

As for the Temple dog flies in Europe, I donít think it is that big of a deal for them. First, they do not fish flies as deep as steelheaders do. Atlantic Salmon have a much greater propensity to come up from deeper water to get a fly than steelhead do. Second, they use double and treble hooks a great deal. (see Peter Terndrupís post on Temple dogs. http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flyta...ad.php?t=21375 ).

Charlie.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:55 PM
chromedome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
Hey chromedome,

I would be very interested in seeing some of your fly designs.

I have seen a few ways to deal with keeping the hook in place. One is to select a hook with the largest eye you can find so the eye of the hook will fit tightly into the junction tubing. Another method is to insert a smaller piece of junction tubing into the main piece of junction tubing to help hold the hook in place.

As for the Temple dog flies in Europe, I donít think it is that big of a deal for them. First, they do not fish flies as deep as steelheaders do. Atlantic Salmon have a much greater propensity to come up from deeper water to get a fly than steelhead do. Second, they use double and treble hooks a great deal. (see Peter Terndrupís post on Temple dogs. http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flyta...ad.php?t=21375 ).

Charlie.
I'm not much with a camera nor do I now know how to put a pic up on here. The overall design of the fly is really quite basic. Six wraps of 0.30 lead were first placed at the lower bend of the keel shank. The thread was white. I was traditionally tying this fly matuka style, matuka being a fad back in the 70's. The tail (four hackles) and body was white with silver rib. The body was tied full with antron preferred. This was overlaid with olive marabou wing topped with peacock herl. Jungle cock eyes (usually imitation) were added. I was playing around with other versions based on brown in one case and more olive in another. But these never really got much of a trial.

Regarding keeping the hook in place, I used the hook recommended by my highly regarded fly shop, who has been specializing in the tube approach lately. These do have a large ring eye. And in one case I did try the junction tube approach you suggest but will admit I had a less than optimal hook style in that case. I think its also possible the flex tubing may be turning around the rigid main tube. At any rate, I need to get good at flaring that main tube to get a tighter fit with the flex tube. I still have a feeling there's a lot for me to learn here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.