Reel Help? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2005, 04:07 PM

Reel Help?

Hello all,

Looking for some insight into the Orvis BK Mid Arbor series. I am trying to get my 'salty six' ready and cannot decide the reel. Is there any reviews or comments from users anywhere on the web or are they too new for comments. I was looking to fill the BK mid III with some #30 gel spun and get some extra spools with lines for bones as well as bass.

Any insight into the performance of this reel in the salt would help, even if the thing is a stinker, it would alleviate problems in the end.

Thanks for all the help,
Jacob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2005, 01:19 AM

reply to orvis reel

Ya know, if you order from a orvis dealer, keep your receipt, find it unacceptable, Orvis will give you your money back. I have the orvis battenkill barstock, and find it very satisfactory for steelhead. I would expect the mid arbor to be a very good deal.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:37 AM

I'm sure that reel would be great for FW but it's ability to withstand SW environment is a question mark. The warranty won't help you if you're hundreds of miles from a fly shop in the carribean and your drag freezes up on a big bone.

If you're set on that price range I would be more likely to go with a Tioga. No frills but a reliable drag and proven SW performer. Or look at Old Florida reels.

Personally if I was going to invest $$ in a bonefish trip I would want a SW-specific reel that was up to the task (tibor, abel, bauer, sage). These will be more $$ tho...
Old 03-31-2005, 04:45 PM
Jim Buffalo Outfitters

waterworks

you could also get into the radius reel they hold lots of backing and are very dependable

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.