anyone interested in forming a coop to get wholesale pricing? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2005, 02:31 AM

anyone interested in forming a coop to get wholesale pricing?

I have a source for wholesale pricing, if you are in northern california and are interested email me. Tired of paying $5.50 for a 25 pack of tiemco hooks? Pay $5.50 for a 100 pack of tiemco hooks made by maruto (the maker of the hook, but obviously it wouldnt be branded tiemco. Or pay $6 for a $12 whiting hen cape, $1, for thread, or $3.30 for a 100 pack of gold brass beads.

The thing is I cant just order 100 beads for $3.30, I have to order 1000 beads that come out to 3.30 per 1000. If 10 people in the coop wanted 100 packs of the same beads, then each person would get a 100 pack for like $3.50 (or whatever shipping is).
steve_sullivan@hotmail.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2005, 08:05 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
good idea...

...and, with all the money we save, we can have a big party to celebrate putting all those pesky, expensive, information rich, local fly shops out of business once and for all...
A toast to Sam Walton and free enterprize!
Old 03-21-2005, 09:15 AM
Fly chucker

Couldn't agree with you more, Pete.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:25 AM

No Thank's. I'm with the other Pete & Mark on this one. My experinec has been the more i support my local shop, the easier it is to get a favorable pricing when I buy larger quantities of product.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:59 PM
Pullin' Thread

Sure you can get 100 Tiempco hooks for $5.50 if you buy 1,000 of a single size ($55.00/1,000) and model. Thisi only applies to trout hooks only though, the salmon/steelhead irons are more like $240.00/1000 of a single size and model. Of course you also need to have a state resale tax license or local business license and make minumum orders. Whiting hackle for 1/2 price, hmm...... I'm not aware of that being the case unless you buy a lot of hackle (around $1500.00-$2,000.00 worth at a time). Thread is normally sold by the dozen of a single size and color, floss is sold this way too, and beads are normally sold in bulk for 1,000 or 10,000 of a single size and color as well.

Seriously, how many hooks of a single size and model does the average fly fisher/flytyer use in a year? Or how many hackle necks or saddles, spools of thread of the same color, etc. does the average tyer use in a year as well?

I agree with both Petes and Mark on this. The local shops are not making that many dollars on any of these items, even though they are the bread-and-butter of the shop. Not only local knowledge and expertise are found at the loal shop, those unimportant items like fly lines, leaders, tippet spools, backing, reels, waders, rain jackets, wading shoes, rods, etc. There is also the ability to go and buy a reasonalbly sized package of some material or hook you just realized you ran out of instead of having to wait a week or more to get it from a distributor or wholesaler, and the ability to go and buy some flies for that fishing trip you didn'g have time to tie the flies for.

I'd be willing to bet if you really wanted to get 1,000 of a single size and model of Tiemco hooks, your local fly shop that stocks Tiempco would be willing to get them for you in those bulk quantities, although the shop would have to charge something for profit in order to stay in business.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:57 PM
spey addict

Send a message via AIM to Moose
But just think of the .89 cents you'll save on your share of the 1,000 #8 egg hooks
Life is but a walking shadow. A poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot. Full of sound and fury!! Signifying nothing. May as well go fishing!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.