Lancaster , PA - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2005, 11:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
Lancaster , PA

Well ,
It seems Brenda has convinced me to take her to Amish country so she can see the quilts. I'll give her the car and she and my mom can poke around while I hit some streams with Ian.
I've been surfing around and have found some good info. Any one with local knowledge for river and stream fishing around the Lancaster and Intercourse area and willing to share some would be welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2005, 12:08 PM

Lancaster is about a half hour drive from Reading, PA where you can fish The Tulpehocken Creek. If you are interested, visit www.tcoflyfishing.com and check out their write-up on the creek. They are a local flyshop in the area and are very knowledgeable on fishing the "Tully" (I am in no way affiliated with them, so I apologize if it is inappropriate to mention their site).

There are some other streams in the Lancaster area that I have yet to fish, but are supposed to have some decent fishing. They are: Donegal Springs (I believe flyfisherman.com has an article on this one), Octararo Creek, Little Conestoga Creek and various others.

Let me know if there is any other info I can help you with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2005, 10:42 AM

Thanks Sol,
I hadn't come across the Reading stream but did see the others. I've just started researching this trip soi'm sure I'll be well prepared befroe we headout. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:19 AM

Let me know if there is any other info I can help with. I haven't fished any of the streams with the exception of the "Tully", so if you go, please give me an update on the fishing. I too would love to venture out that way this spring.

When are you going?
Old 03-17-2005, 12:23 PM

Provided things go as planned we'll be plitting our time between 3 days in Lancaster Cty and DC. Neither my wife nor my son have seen DC so we are planning a road trip for the week of June 20th.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:53 PM

If you do go to the Tully, make sure you have plenty of caddis (tan,green,black....but I have best luck with green) size 18 seems to have produced consistent results. June also produces some decent sulphur hatches on our local streams.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:57 PM
Pullin' Thread

Chris,

I lived an hour or so noth of Lancaster until I left PA in 1979 and have relatives in the area. It is a beautiful area, mostly agriculture because of the Amish influence and as a result if pretty much unpolluted. There are a lot of streams within the greater Lancaster area (30 miles or so). The Tully and the Little Conestoga are gems. You are also not going to be far from the town of Boiling Springs and Yellow Breeches Creek (one of the famous PA limestoners), which will be about 30 miles west. Pretty much any stream in the area has fish. Be forewarned, some of the streams are rather small and are only 20' across in thier widest parts. Caddis in grey, green, tan; small mayflies in olive, cream, sulfur, tan;, small yellow and green stones, and midges along with some black-nosed dace or small sculpins (#10 or #12) will cover your needs.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:27 AM

Small streams are great. I fish a 6 1/2' 3 weight walking up the middle of alder choked streams quite regularly up here in Maine. A favorite brookie strategy.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:36 PM
Pullin' Thread

Chris,

There used to be a great fly shop in the town of Paradise, which is just down the road from Lancaster. Evening Rise or something along those lines was its name. I don't know if it is still in business or not, but it would be a great source of info on local streams.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.