Sink tip leader: Steelhead - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-15-2005, 07:21 AM
resigned

Sink tip leader: Steelhead

I searched for this but didn't have time to go very far back. OP next week with sink tip lines. 7,8 & 9 weight 9 foot rods with ten foot sink tip Cortland lines. (all I could afford for now). What is the proper lenght and design to use for swinging steelhead flies? I am willing to cut these tips back if the rivers stay down.

Phil
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2005, 09:09 AM

A sink tip leader is generally in the 3-5' range. If you go much longer you loose the benefit of the sink tip you are using. A simple 5' leader made from Maxima Ultra Green is what I use most of the time: 25#-15", 15#-15", 10#-30".
Chris

Last edited by FLGator; 03-15-2005 at 09:09 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2005, 09:53 AM

BFM, Are you speaking of the sink tips or the leaders? The leaders are typically short when fihing sub surface. This year is low and warm and toss conventional winter fishing out the door. With this years weather and $$ sounding tight, you should be able to fish a dry line.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:43 AM

4' piece of 15# Maxima.

For tips. Try a 4' length of 15# maxima and see how that works. If you want a leader that turns over a little better, make a tapered leader with a piece of 30#, 20# & 15# for a total length of 4'.

But seriously, a length of 15# maxima works great. With lengths that short, turning the fly over isn't a problem.

-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefishmon
I searched for this but didn't have time to go very far back. OP next week with sink tip lines. 7,8 & 9 weight 9 foot rods with ten foot sink tip Cortland lines. (all I could afford for now). What is the proper lenght and design to use for swinging steelhead flies? I am willing to cut these tips back if the rivers stay down.

Phil
Old 03-15-2005, 10:59 AM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
I run a 1 1/2' of #30, 1' #20 and 1-2' #8-#12.

The #30 ends in a perfection loop and is attached to the #20 via a perfection loop.

I have in the past run straight #12 or #10 perfection looped onto my butt section but had one of the hottest winter fish I've ever hooked last year just demolish the perfection loop in my tippet. After that I went back to a mid-section for the sole purpose of helping create a secure connection of my tippet to my butt section.

The only durable, easy way I've seen of connecting tippet straight to your tip is Homey's sheepshank. It's a great idea but involves braided mono looping the ends of all my tips.....thats too much work, imho.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:49 PM

I just tie on a short piece of 25 or 20# maxima (18" to 24") to the line tip using an Albright knot. Tie in a double surgeons to this. Then take whatever tippet size I want to use and tie in a spider hitch followed by a surgeons loop to create a double loop - this is a very strong connection (100% knot) - make the tippet as long as you want - usually 3 to 5 feet long.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:46 PM
Jolly Buddha

KISS!

3 1/2" 12lbs.

THE NEWER CHIEF of E.P.

Real Steelhead Don't Eat Pellets!!
Old 03-15-2005, 06:03 PM
resigned

Hmmmm? Full floater? Will they take a Bomber or big Wulff dries being that the water is warm and low?

Thanks for the advice everyone. Hope to see you on the water!

Phil
Old 03-16-2005, 04:09 PM

winter waker action?

You are probably not going to lure those fish to a waker on average in the winter. Maybe sometimes but it has to be more of an exception than rule.

There sure seemed to be a ton of people on the OP fishing with nymphs & indicators off a dry line this year. That'd get you around having to buy sink tips but doesn't let you get into the swing action that well.

Light tips work really well on some lower-gradient rivers even when the water is cold (e.g. Skykomish). In those cases, the difference between 15' of type II tip and a full dry line might not be that significant - especially if you use a heavy wire hook (and longer leader) in the later case and do a little extra mending.

A lot of us prefer to cast a tip and a lighter fly though. Depending on your setup, tips cast pretty effortlessly.

-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefishmon
Hmmmm? Full floater? Will they take a Bomber or big Wulff dries being that the water is warm and low?

Thanks for the advice everyone. Hope to see you on the water!

Phil
Old 03-17-2005, 01:23 PM

Bonefishmon,

Even with the low water flows, you'll most likely find a useful application for a variety of lines/sinktips. You said Cortland lines with 10' sinktips. I presume you mean the 10' type III sinking tip. If so, that will be useful, but not the most useful line in my estimation.

Under current conditions, my most used line remains a 15' hi-speed, hi-D sinktip (type IV), although I spent way more time than usual touching up my hooks with the file, and I lost way more flies than usual. But I know I was fishing deep enough. Reasonable alternatives to my favorite line might be either 15' of type III or 10' of type IV. BTW, I favor 15' tips because they cast and handle significantly better than 10' factory manufactured sinktips.

Bring a floating line with an 8 - 10' leader to fish weighted flies through the slower moving runs. I've been using the 1/30 oz. size lead dumbbell eyes as weight. This is working well. I run a straight 8' of 8# Maxima ultra-green, tapered leaders being totally unnecessary, and 30#, 25#, 20# leader sections simply inhibit sinking. I'm told flourocarbon sinks better than nylon mono, but I haven't used it yet.

The budget approach, in my estimation, to expanding the effective applicability of your 10' sinktips would be to supplement them with some 5' Airflo or Rio sinking leaders in the 3.5"/second and 7"/second range.

I use 3 to 4' leaders on sinktips. All my tippets are 8# Maxima, and I tie these to 10 and 15# sections because, as Ryan said, the perfection loop of a tippet section breaks to easily, so it needs to be tied to at least one section of heavier diameter leader material.

Good luck, and enjoy your week visiting and fishing here.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.