Islander FR2 questions...??? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2005, 03:44 PM

Islander FR2 questions...???

I am considering the FR2 (prefer the added backing capacity over the large arbor LX) for use with my 8wt, for steelhead / salmon and light saltwater (bones / baby tarpon). I hope to be able to use the same reel in Alaska next year for salmon, including Chinook, on a 9 or 10wt. I was just wondering about the drag surface size on this reel and the maximum drag setting. I read in an older issue of Fly Fish America that the max drag tested for the LX3.8 was 4lbs. 2oz. I am assuming that the drag in the LX is about the same as the FR?? The max drag is substantially less than some other reels of the same size that I have used. In addition, the comparable size Tibor, Abel, and Old florida all tested around 12lbs. 4-5lbs is what I have heard the Tibor light back country wide will give you, which is less expensive and lighter weight. Although I probably wouldn’t need any more drag that 4lbs, I would prefer to not have to operate the drag at its maximum setting to get what I need from it. Anyway, is this a pretty accurate number for the FR2?
I have heard nothing but good things about Islander reels, but never really considered them until seeing one in a shop in Virginia while on vacation last week. I hope the FR2 will work for me as it is a beautiful reel that looks like it will last for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2005, 08:36 AM
1 More Cast

Benny,

I own two FR2s. I have one spooled with 200 +yds of backing and WF8 bonefish taper line, and the second reel has 125yds of backing with a Rio Windcutter 678 on it. The reels are bullet proof and have a smooth drag that will slow down darn near anything!
1More

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.