GT from the Seychelles - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2005, 02:36 PM
In moderation

Smile GT from the Seychelles

I know it is bad to show off but is that not a part of fishing.
I caught this fish last week in the Seychelles. I used an Orvis 11wt and Tibor Gulfstream with an epoxy head deceiver size 4/0. It was estimated at 80-85 lbs.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gts1s.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	4580  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2005, 03:08 PM
Flats Rat

Awesome job Pete!

Showing off is absolutely part of fishing and appropriate in this case
Old 03-14-2005, 03:12 PM
Middle Aged Member

Agreed. How about showing off some more with a full report. (We need a drooling smiley icon)

Last edited by FredA; 03-14-2005 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:18 PM
Flats Rat

Yes, "we want more!" .... "we want more!" :

- How long did the punch-up last?
- Sight casting?
- Boat or wade?
- Bruised knuckles?
- Blood?
- etc...........
Old 03-15-2005, 04:19 AM

Send a message via MSN to jamie Send a message via Skype™ to jamie
More pics

There are some more pics fo Pete's legendary fish here.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/johnrtaylor/gt2.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/johnrtaylor/gtfs.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/johnrtaylor/gts1s.jpg
Old 03-15-2005, 05:20 AM
In moderation

OK here is the story:

The Giant Trevally

Tuesday 8th March 2005 was an interesting day. It was the third day of my trip to Alphonse Island in the Seychelles. The first day was a normal bonefishing day when I caught about 15 bonefish all between 2 and 5 lbs.
First thing in the morning of the second day it rained. The whole morning was overcast and any fish that we saw were very spooky. That continued for the rest of the day but I eventually caught my first fish at 3.00 pm with a size 6 fly with no weight. I caught another couple of bones and that was it for the day.
On the Tuesday I was fishing with Donald, one of the original guides when bonefishing was first attempted at Alphonse and St. Francois lagoons.
It was a beautifully sunny day, unlike the day before. We set off on the flat on the east side of St. Francois lagoon and fished the outgoing tide for about an hour and a half. I caught about 6 or 7 bones. Low tide was at 10.15 and Donald then suggested that we look on the finger flats for triggerfish. We got out of the boat I had my 9 wt Bloke Rod with Vossler S2 reel in hand with a small Kwan fly in hand, Donald took my trevally rod, just in case. A few yards onto the flat Donald shouts “trevally” and I look around and see a school of fish on the edge of the flat, attacking baitfish. Donald then passed me my 11 wt Orvis T3 and I cast into the school.
“Strip fast” was the instruction, which I did. The fish attacked the fly however the size 4/0 epoxy head deceiver was too large for them, turning out to be smaller sized blue fin trevally. I asked Donald why we tried with such a big fly and the answer was that there might have been some GTs with them.
I then hooked a yellow margin triggerfish, which cut me off on the coral.
At about 11.15 we moved back to the flats on the east side of St. Francois. I took my bonefish rod (8 wt Bloke with Van Staal reel) Donald brought my GT rod (just in case). We caught a couple of bones and then I spotted a fish just on the edge of the flat. “What the ****” is that?” I asked Donald.
“That is a GT” was the very cool answer.
I looked at the fish, it was much bigger than the GTs that you see from to mothership every morning and evening and silver coloured, a female.
We changed rods and I cast the 4/0 deceiver at the fish, which was about 20 yards away. Surprisingly enough I didn’t hit it on the head and it didn’t spook. A fast strip and it started following, how do you breathe?
However it turned away and stopped just 10 yards away, again on the edge of the deeper water. We could now see it properly and even Donald was amazed at how big it was.
I then put the fly a yard in front of the fish and just twitched it. This huge mouth opened and the GT jumped on the fly. Keep cool, strip set the hook and then it took off. Straight into the deep water, all I could do was hang on. Donald said that I shouldn’t worry, as there were no coral heads in the area and went off to get the boat, which was about 50 yards away. When the Donald returned with the boat the fish had slowed down and had taken about 150 yards of backing. I got into the boat expecting a long chase but the fish had then stopped. I have caught a number of large tarpon so I am used to fighting big fish but this was just a tug of war. I fought it very hard, the main thought in my head was that I don’t want to break the rod and lose the fish. After a few minutes I started to retrieve line and slowly got the fly line back onto the reel. I looked around to see that the boat had hardly moved. The fish was coming to the surface and I could see the silver shape in the water. There was another shape behind it of a GT of similar size following the fish that I had hooked.
The fish was coming slowly and Donald told me to get out of the boat and land it on the flat. As it came over the edge I could see that it was very tired. I dragged it further onto the flat and we landed it in ankle deep water.
The whole process took about 15 mins. Then a few photos and it was released.
Donald then said that it was the biggest GT ever caught at Alphonse and reckoned it was at least 80, maybe 85 lbs. The interesting thing is that the guides at Alphonse are very conservative and pretty accurate with their fish sizing. Not like the Bahamas were a 6 lb fish is at least 10 lbs.
After that we had lunch and caught a lot more bonefish. In fact, on that day I probably caught about 25 bones but there is only one fish that I can remember.
This is basically a story about luck. I was lucky that the fish was there, lucky that I didn’t spook it, lucky that it didn’t break off.
When I got back to Alphonse there were lots of congratulations and also a large number of envious looks. I was also told that it was a fish or a lifetime and I’ll probably never catch anything like it again. Well bugger that I need to plan my next trip.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gt2s.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	4588  
Old 03-15-2005, 03:22 PM
Frustrated English SWFF

Pete, it still looks awesome !!!

I hope some of that good fortune and skill rub off on me !
Can i stand next to you now? please.......please!!

Dave
Old 03-15-2005, 03:55 PM

That is a toad

Nice work!
Old 03-15-2005, 04:50 PM

Nice

You are my hero!!!!
Old 03-16-2005, 08:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Wow.... Wow.... WOW....
Old 03-17-2005, 08:56 AM

Awesome fish. Great report. FishHawk
Old 03-19-2005, 01:26 PM

Now that is truly a fish of a lifetime.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:59 PM

Inspiring story!
speydoc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.