Setting hooks on steelhead - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2005, 01:35 PM

Setting hooks on steelhead

I had a chance to do some high-sticking for steelhead recently using a 5 wt 10' (TFO) rod and heavily weighted stoneflies, mostly size 12 and 14. I had a bunch of cases where I'd feel the hit, set the hook, have the fish come up to a headshake and 'spit' the hook. I now wonder if my 10' 5 wt was too light to set the hook properly. I did switch to an 8 wt and it didn't happen again, but I didn't hook enough fish to conclude anything decisive. So I thought I'd throw out the question here? Is a 10' 5 wt too light to adequately set the hook on a steelhead?

And please, let's not turn this into a discussion of whether a 5 wt is too light to fight steelhead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2005, 01:45 PM

Depends on the hook -- a light wire hook should penetrate no problem with a five weight. If it works on a big brown, why not a steelhead? About the loss of fish when they're head shaking -- I'd suggest that this is where your five weight is letting you down.

You didn't say whether you were using barbless or not.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:57 PM

Well, my hooks were Mustad 9671, with barbs. Why/how would a 5 wt be at a disadvantage when a large fish is headshaking?
Old 03-17-2005, 02:02 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Josko -

Much of the issue arises from the inherent rod position during high-sticking IMHO. In order for the rod to get loaded, apply tension, overcome the current, and stick the hook it has to be almost behind you with that starting position.

I am by no means a high-stick expert but I would think that using a stripset to the side with the line hand starting high near the stripper would be the best best, and also set to the downriver side to get the belly of the line pulling the fly to the corner of the mouth.

I would also use a fairly large gape light wire hook in this case as well since the 'greaseline' method of setting downcurrent is being employed, or potentially being employed I should say.

I would also pinch the barb for better penetration, but then again I pinch all my barbs.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 03-17-2005, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josko
Well, my hooks were Mustad 9671, with barbs. Why/how would a 5 wt be at a disadvantage when a large fish is headshaking?
As Juro has highlighted, you're in an off-balance postion when hooksetting while highsticking. When using light rods there's more need to play the fish on the butt and the reel. In the highstick position, you're taking the brunt of the initial rush from the fish on the top end of the rod and with a light rod, that puts you at a disadvantage until you can get the rod down into the ideal position. The fish has an opportunity to toss the hook in that brief transition of rod positions. In the high rod position, you're not able to put enough pressure on the fish to keep him pinned up.

Last edited by peter-s-c; 03-17-2005 at 03:10 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.