Fly Fishing Forum banner

All this Labrador Talk

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
I remember a time when I was really interested in going up to Labrador to fish. Never made it, but in the process, learned about one way it's done. Seems some New Englanders would drive up to Quebec City (10 hours from Boston), then catch a train. On that train you were allowed to stow your gear in a cargo car that would hold a canoe if needed. The train would proceed to Labrador and stop in the middle of the wilderness at a river crossing. There you meet up with the guide who is waiting for you, and you then proceed by canoe to camp. A great adventure for sure, and I'm sure this still goes on.

#2 ·
Hi Terry:
I don't know about that train since many of the lines that used to go north from the CN tracks across Canada, have been discontinued throughout the years thanks to, what else, budget cuts. But, a couple of years ago I took the train from Montreal to Vancouver (the Silver and Blue actually leaves from Toronto), and during that 4,500km trek the train did stop in a couple of "wilderness" places to deliver something to "George and Martha" whose house just happens to be by the railway tracks. Pretty neat stuff. While I'm at it... the tracks follow most of the North Thompson all the way to the Fraser and then all the way to Vancouver. You can bet I was paying attention and looking out the window a lot.

#3 ·
Just saw some of Tod's photos at Sully's tying clave... all I can say is Holy Sh_t! Tod - we'd love to hear about the trip. I didn't want to comandeer those killer photos but if you'd like them scanned I'd be happy to do it.

Nice seeing everyone at the Stony Brook Fish&Game tonight.

#4 ·
Juro - I'll have my brother-in-law scan in some shots and send them your way. Sadly I didn't manage to get any with the dry flies we were using... do mice & lemmings count as dries? I'll have to ask my father-in-law is interested and/or willing to co-pen some lines on our Labrador trip.

Weather permitting, may hit the Shettucket R.(sp?)in CT this Sunday for some brood stock salmon. Never can own - or wear - too much fleece for those conditions.

Tod

#5 ·
Tod -

Thanks for scanning some of those photos. The giant Labrador brookies always did hit a certain spot in my angling psyche. If you and your father-in-law jot down some notes, you can throw the material at the writers' guild and we'll try to put it into article format for you if you'd like. The point is don't worry too much about the formalities, we can help there.

Anxious to hear your trip report from Shetucket (sp?)
There once was a man from Shetucket, who'd break off a fly and say...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.