Avington trout fishery - England - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2000, 03:58 PM
Recent Member

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
Avington trout fishery - England

If you want to see our company day out, from a couple of years ago, check out:-

http://www.breac.demon.co.uk/flyfish/mem03.htm

It's a "fun" day out and I have so far caught 5 double figure fish to 16lb 5oz. Anyone coming to the UK that wants more details, give me an "email" shout!

tight lines,
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2000, 09:01 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:Avington trout fishery - England

Steve -

Nice to read about your trophy trout fishery in Avington - that 5lb rainbow is bigger than most adults have caught! Since I do get to the UK once in a while, I'll be sure to pack a travel rod when I visit.

Although I'm not the best car driver out there maybe some of my fishing antics will translate into some success.

keep us informed,
Juro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2000, 04:29 PM

Steve and Juro....

There is a place in Long Island that I used to fish in the early spring and late fall with my TU group that was called Connetquot River State Park. It was a small spring creek that meandered thru Pine Forest to the ocean. The state of New York put a Hatchery in the middle of the river and stocked the living *#!!*& out of it. The river was not more than 18 feet across in most places and the fish where absolutely huge. It was not uncommon to hook rainbows and browns in the 15lb class. The park was set up where you would reserve and purchase a beat on a first come, first serve basis. When our club reserved it, we had free reign over all of the beats. There is one stretch where you cross over a bridge and under the bridge, you would see rainbows and browns that would scare you ! In most cases I would use a 6 or 7 wt, as long as it had pulling power because the fish did not go far, but it was a bulldog fight to get them in.
Not your traditional trout fishing by any stretch but some huge fish non-the-less......

John
Old 02-15-2000, 11:00 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

John -

Were the outsized trout the result of forays into the sea and it's riches or were they raised to those proportions and released? Just curious. Sounds like great sport.

Juro
Old 02-16-2000, 08:03 PM

Juro:

A combination of both...."most" of the fish where hatchery studs, some destined for the great lakes tributaries......others made it back and forth to the brine......

John
Old 02-25-2000, 09:52 PM
Recent Member

Steve you would love to fish the ponds on Cape Cod, I think they are some what like some of the lakes you fish.
Seems like the UK anglers are very good when it comes to fly fishing the still waters. I have learned a lot from reading one of your fishing magazines called Still Water Trout, I think that is the name of it. I would read the reports from the different lakes there and they would have a list of the big trout taken in them and what they were taken on. I noticed a fly called the "Boobie" I called a shop in the UK and ordered some ( you should have heard that conversation.. A woman answers and I have to ask her if she has any boobies) I got into fishing them here and they worked great!
What would you use for a fly during your late winter and early spring fishing?
My fishing is weird.. I find something that works and use it for a while then go on to something different.
With the boobie I had to really fish it slow.. and I'm pretty hyper, it would take me a half hour to slow down enough to fish it.
Lately I am just streamer fishing and found that I can catch these trout with a pretty fast retrieve. I like that.
Old 02-26-2000, 06:49 AM
Recent Member

Tony,

I've been to Cape Cod, driving around one weekend for "pleasure" whilst on business in the week. It's a shame I didn't take the opportunity to fish whilst there (12 years ago).

I like "Trout & Salmon" magazine - it has river & lake fishing for salmon, trout & grayling. However, for the lake fisherman, "Trout Fisherman" is very good.

Boobies are great flies and have their place - but you're right - you have to be patient at times. Use them when it is so hot, you are sure you will catch no fish. Also try them with 'fritz' bodies in yellow/white, olive, orange & black/yellow. We also have some deadly buzzer fishing tactics too that requires equal patience. I'll perhaps explain that in an article or similar a little later on?

If you thought Boobies were funny to ask for, try asking a lady in a tackle shop for some "condoms" - size large. Especially speaking from work in an office, ordering mail order! These are also know as "Flying Condoms" or "Flying C's" and are the deadliest lures/spinners you can have for Salmon.

Finally, if anyone wants to fish Avington, by far the dealiest fly is the "Loignton Guinea" (not sure about spelling). This fly will catch fish out of puddles!

tight lines
Old 02-26-2000, 02:55 PM
Recent Member

Steve what does that loignton guinea look like ... I might have to try that one..... For the Condom.. I think I'll pass on that one.
Old 02-28-2000, 04:25 PM
Recent Member

Tony,

I'll do some form of article with pictures shortly. In the meantime, the Loignton Guinea is something like this:-

Hook Kamazan B175 size 10
Silver bead head (to weight as well as for appearance)
Guinea hackle/collar at back of silver bead
'Fritz' body
Long thick tail of Marabou.

Use the following body/tail colours:-

yellow/white
black/black
olive/olive
orange/orange.

Fish on a 'slime line' (intermediate clear glass), 10 foot leader - count down after casting until you find the level of fish, then retrieve in fairly fast jerky retrieves.

tight lines

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.