caribbean cruise + fishing? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2005, 04:32 PM

caribbean cruise + fishing?

I will be traveling to the Caribbean for a Cruise in mid April.
My wife sees the trip as a romantic get away, but i'm trying to justify taking my rod along. I'm from Boston, so I can barely resist the chance to wade in the tropical flats with my rod in hand. The itinerary is as follows:

Depart Miami, FL

Nassau, Bahamas

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Labadee, Hispaniola

Return to Miami

Time will be limited, but i would like to wet a line. I'll probably take my striper outfit along(home-made IM6 9'-9wt + Tioga 10 magnum w/ 9wt. orvis intermediate line). I love tying Clousers, so i'll probably throw some of them in the bag as well. Keep in mind that i'm broke after paying for the trip, so a guide probably won't be an option. I'm not looking for any particular species... I'm just a guy who's addicted to fishing... Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nathan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2005, 09:14 PM

Bring It.....

Cause if you don't and run into some possible action.............well.... you'll end up kicking yourself now won't you!
BUT........ don't try to sneek it along (the equip.) else you know she'll get P.O'ed
Just tell her if you fish.....she gets to shop.......She'll go along with that, right?

And if she freaks......blame it on me
DaHawk
Old 03-08-2005, 07:09 AM
Middle Aged Member

I did that itenerary about 10 years ago except there were problems in Haiti at the time so instead of Labardee we went to the cruise lines private island in the Berry's. That might have offered an opportunity. It's tough, I think, to work in some fishing with the limited amount of shore time unless you are docked for an extended amount of time ,ie. Bermuda cruises. But a packable setup you could carry around would be nice, just in case. In Nassau we took one of those party boats to a beach on the back end of the island that some of the big resorts are located (Paradise island?). Somewhat isolated, we spent an hour or two. Woulda been nice to beachcomb with a rod in hand, just in case.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:16 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

While connecting from Exuma last year I took some aerial recon of New Providence in case I was ever stuck there with time to burn on a connecting flight. Although most of the island's waters are deeper channels and shorelines without much in the way of expansive flats, the south end of the island near the marinas were quite good especially where the marina complex with the maze-like pattern exits to the sea.

On both sides of that outlet are very good flats, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that this is the place to go even though I have only fished it with my eyes.

Around the island there are other spots where a bone might be found cruising but the flats experiences on this island are certainly limited when compared to the other islands in the archipelago.

I would imagine that the jacks, large snapper, and even tarpon opportunities would be much better than overall bonefishing in areas away from the southern flats, but that remains to be proven.

Perhaps someone else can comment. If there is time away from preparations for Acklins while we are overnighting in Nassau we might have a first-hand report to offer soon.

A guess per Charlotte Amalie:

While certainly not a flats destination, the right harbor might give you some shots. Jacks, cuda should be around. Seems like more of an offshore place though.

Another: Puerto Rico

Looks like another jacks/bluewater/cuda type place.

hypothesis:

Might be an association with cruise ship access and deep water (TIC). It seems few cruise ship destination combine access to flats with deep ports.

The Disney cruise seems to be the best example of one that does, I saw that private island from the air (Castaway Cay) and it looked extremely fishy.

Time to get the kids involved in the decision making process
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.