Fly Fishing Forum banner

Newbie to salmon fishing, have ???

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  new2fly 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm going to be up in Maine in June for 5 days. The original plan was to go after smallmouth since it's prime time for them, but apparently it's prime time for salmon up there too! So, at least me and one of my buddies that's going are going to try for both species since we've never gone after salmon before (at least I haven't). Any advice for me? Flies? Techniques? I've been fly fishing for 17 years for lots of other species.

#3 ·
Scott, June is indeed prime time for salmon here in Maine, landlocked salmon, that is. Atlantic salmon are present in Maine but are protected under the Endangered Species Act, when we Mainers get the bug for Atlantics we head to Quebec. While their landlocked cousins don't get nearly as big, they provide wonderful sport on streamers nymphs and dries. Terry

#5 ·
teflon, well well then. so i am not the only newbie going after some salmon this season. i am from New Brunswick just east of Maine. Only place i have ever fished in Maine is Big Lake in the south eastern part of the state. So i cant help you out much ether, but there are lots of bass if you are going to that area for sure.

I am going Atlantic Salmon fishing very soon, so i will let you know what to expect and how i liked it. from what i hear its the bomb. :hihi:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.