FL. Clear Water, Sand Key QUE - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2005, 11:04 AM

FL. Clear Water, Sand Key QUE

I am heading down to Florida Tampa Bay, Clearwater area staying on Sand Key. Will be there at the end of April. For a short vacation trip. As with all my trips will be bringing my fly gear. The only problem I have never been to this area before. I don't know what fish will be around. I would like to hire a guide for a day and would like to fish flats, mangroves, or bays for cudas, jacks, redfish,S. trout, snook, they are all on the list. I need help with: A good reputable guide. Places I could fish by myself as I will only have a guide for one day. What flies to tye. And feel free to add anything else I may have forgot. Thanks Steelboneguy.

Last edited by SteelBoneguy; 02-28-2005 at 02:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2005, 07:18 PM

Capt Cliff is a good choice

I would highly recomend Capt Cliff Martin - He is a former Keys guide that grew up in the Tampa area and owns a fly shop as well. That time of year it would be worth it to do one of two things with Cliff:
1. Fish the area about an hour South of St. Pete around Boca. the water is clear and the Reds and snook will be all over that area.
2. Fish the docks at night for Snook under the lights.

You are still a wee bit early for the Snook to Migrate out to the beaches but you might find a couple hanging around the Jetty that sticks out from Sand Key on Clearwater pass (walking distance from where you are at).

hFor DIY - Fort desoto is a great optio/n that offers plenty
of trout and reds tat time of year as well.

Fly's to tie include - white / chart, white / green, or white gray clousers with lead eyes work. White neer hair decievers and combos of white and green.

Mike Cutcliff

World Class Outfitters
13911 N. Dale Mabry, Suite 107 Tampa, Florida 33618 Number: 813-968-3736 Tampa Bay Fly Fishing Guide
URL:www.worldclassoutfitters.com

Last edited by mdbones; 03-01-2005 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:11 PM
Flats Rat

Hi Mike

Good to see you back here!

Have you started a commercial operation?

As you will recall, we rely heavilly on our sponsors to keep the site alive and kicking and maintain a policy of only allowing paid sponsor promotion on the various boards.

My apologies if you have already spoken with Juro about this.

Adrian
Old 03-02-2005, 04:35 AM

No Mas!

Adrian,

No commercial operation here My day job provides more than I can handle as it is! Thats the name of the the guides shop (Capt. Cliff Martin) in Tampa who I was was recommending for the Bay area. Did not know that I could not recommend guides. Sorry if I broke the rule - was not aware of it.

Mike

Last edited by mdbones; 03-02-2005 at 04:40 AM.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:07 PM

Fl Clearwater, Sand Key, QUE

SteelBoneguy,

Check your private message.

Mel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.