Getting close! - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2005, 06:58 AM
resigned

Getting close!

I'm only two weeks away from flying cross country from Connecticut to visit my son's family in Silverdale, Wa.. From all accounts I am as excited as I can be about
visiting a new place and fishing the Olympic Penn. for the first time. Reports about netting are putting a damper on this whole experience. I am considering spend an extra day trout fishing instead unless the situation changes. Have any of you reading this caught steelies at all this month? I'm arriving 3/22 and leaving the 29th.

Phil
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2005, 07:02 AM
Swinger of Flies

Phil, I was going to send you an email with an attachment, but I cant attach.....

what is your email addy?

Jay

Last edited by Luv2flyfish; 03-07-2005 at 07:04 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2005, 02:46 PM

Phil,

You can fish for trout in Connecticut later this spring. Notwithstanding the gillnetting, there are enough steelhead in the OP rivers to make it worth one's while to devote whatever time is available to that pursuit. My lament is that I have to work at all during March and April. It just ain't right, when there are so many rivers and I have so little time. Further, this drought has the rivers holding low - and clearer - so much of the good holding water is in fly range.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:45 PM
Pullin' Thread

Phil,

The nets aren't in the river 24/7. Many fish get upriver past the nets, which are placed in or near tidewater on the OP rivers. I share Salmo G's sentiments, it would be nice to do nothing but spend nearly every day on the OP rivers during March and April.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:59 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Phil -

You worry too much my friend! If there is a steelhead in the cards for you, you will hook it. If you keep your cool, you will land it. The second part is hard, the first part you have little control over.

Keep a good fly swimming slower than the current and in the fishest parts of every pool you cover. May it be in the cards for you, and enjoy the incredible scenery.

Juro
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 03-07-2005, 06:26 PM
resigned

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! Juro, you are right. I do worry some. I guess once I'm there and the scenery blows my mind I'll get in the groove!

Jay, you have mail.

Phil
Old 03-07-2005, 11:50 PM

????

do people actually fish for trout?
Old 03-09-2005, 06:12 AM
resigned

Talking

Up until three years ago, I was wondering the same thing. Gave up trout for bigger, salt water species. Went to Montana to visit my son. WhoooHOOOOO!
Took me to a spot where I sware the rainbows are on steroids! He spent three years looking for this type of fishery and found it. Almost blindfolded me for the trip there. Hookups required somewhat baggie waders for the run down river with a six weight doubled over. There were some double digit fish but we were not able to land them. They were eating size 20 scuds. Wooly buggers be damned! Nothing but small stuff. And this was December! Not a sole around but us. Hope to do this (trout) again in Washington State and from all accounts it is possible. Only difference will be that I may go for a Nantucket Sleigh Ride in a float tube instead of running down river!

Phil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.