Pike Tiemco 8089 question - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2005, 04:10 PM

Location: My "home waters" really belong to the beavers........and they let me know it now and then !
Pike Tiemco 8089 question

I noticed that the tiemco 8089 sz 2 hook gap is the same size as a 2/0 hook, but it is not heavy wire. Do you feel that it is heavy enough wire for Pike ? I have some but, have not tried them on Pike. Ususally I use the heavy iron 2/0's. This year I want to fish more deer hair diver stuff with sink tips. Thought I may give the 8089's a go, any thoughts ?
Also ........know where you can buy 2/0 hooks that are 3x long ?
Thanks...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2005, 09:42 AM

Good question - I use them for bulky steelhead skaters with great success but that time of year I am using 8# maxima tippet on longer summer spey rods (15'2" Solstice) so the tendency to straighten them out on a steelhead is not like your pike fishing.

Maybe the 8089NP with nickel plating is a little tougher, or just go to the saltwater 811s which is as tough as nails. I use these for ocean coho, great hooks and lightweight even in 1/0.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:42 AM

While you probably won't staighten an 8089 on a fish, there are much better options abailable. Try the stinger hooks in the Mustad Signature Series (C52sBLN) or the Gamakatsu stinger. Also, the Daiichi 2461 is a good choice for a long shanked hook, I think its 4x long. All of these hooks are much stonger than the 8089, and have a really good point. The 8089 is plenty sharp, but will be ruined the first time it hits a stump, dock piling, rock, or bony fish mouth. I primarily use Tiemco hooks for my trout flies, and they have many good options for that. It is a little sad that the best hook that a big-time fly hook maker like Tiemco can come up with is the 8089.
Chris
Old 03-08-2005, 07:23 PM

Location: My "home waters" really belong to the beavers........and they let me know it now and then !
Thanks all,
I have heavy wire large ott hooks already. I am interested in a lighter wire for more movement subsurface when diveing subsurface say with a Dahlberg diver. We do the same thing with large Trout streamers with muddler heads striped on Streamer Express lines. The combo of deer hair head, lite wire hook, lively materials and sink tip or full sinker, make the ultimate in movement. Heavy wire hooks can kill movement. Most of the large saltwater hooks are built to handle 100 # Tarpon.........a bit overkill for 5# - 15,20# Pike...........even Muskie.

The hook has the nice 2/0 size gap, the problem as someone noted would be the heavier tippet for Pike and in my case the 9 wt. rods as compared to a lite tippet and longer softer rod.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:57 PM
whatchuDewinWitatBuggywip

Send a message via AIM to TheSeph
my two cents are the gamakatsu stinger hooks mentioned in the first reply. Pretty much the only fw hook i use on largmouth bass flies. 4-2/0. great hooks and not TERRIBLY expensive....25 runs about 5 bucks i think

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.