Double Haul Tool - Fly Fishing Forum
Art of Casting Analysis, refinement of the cast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2005, 11:39 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Double Haul Tool

I found this while looking for New Zealand info...anyone ever try it?

Quote:
Hi All,

Quite a wile ago I mentioned I had made a tool so that anyone could learn to Double haul by themselves in a very short time.

Well this is what I made.

I went to my local department store and bought several different types of elastic from the Fabric department. Its the stuff with a braided thread coating so that it only stretches so far and then becomes rigid. Its the same stuff that you get in the Bottom of outdoor jackets so you can pull the botton tigher.

You can get various thicknesses but I found the thinner (2mm) stuff to be perfect.

Ok, next you need a squash ball. Cut off one quarter as if you were chopping the top off an egg or slicing a tomato this gives you the right weight for a 7/8 weight rod. Put a hole in the ball with a skewer directly in the middle at the other end to where you cut it off and stick a fishing swivel through the hole with something tied to the swivel so that it doesnt come through the hole. Superglue the swivel in place.

Depending on the elastic you bought you will need between 5 and 6 meters. any longer and it will not reach its elastic limit, any shorter and it will reach the limit too soon.

Next tie the elastic to the swivel in the squash ball (I used a snap catch so I could take the ball off and use different weights).

Hey presto! You have a Double hauling tool.

To use it thread the elastic through the rod and hold the end.
Lay the ball on the ground in front of you and start with the elsastic straight. Pich up the hall with a smooth back cast and haul at the same time.

*you want to use a side cast and you want to swing the ball UNDER the rod*

The idea is similar to a bat and ball with elastic. As you build up a rythm you will feel when it its time to haul.

If you haul at the wrong time the ball will just fall. If you haul at the right time the elastic will reach its elastic limit and will fly forward and feel *exactly* like a loop unfurling, it will also take the same time to stretch as a loop takes to unfurl.

When the elastic is at its maximum stretch just start the stroke again. You will soon be casting it back and forth with a perfectly times haul and a very smooth stroke.

The incentive for getting this right is quite good. If the ball hits you... it hurts

As you bring in the drift the whole thing gets as smooth as silk and you end up with a very smooth action that you will be completely addicted to

Make sure you start with an old 7 weight rod. If the ball hits the rod it isn't going to be pretty Once you have the hang of it and are swinging the ball back and forth under the rod, get the good stuff out.

I gave it to a complete beginner and she taught herself to double haul in about 5 minutes using it as if she were using a bat and ball on elastic.

Cheers,
Carl
CREDIT: http://www.sexyloops.co.uk/cgi-bin/theboard/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=5;t=1970
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2005, 12:42 PM
Fly chucker

You callin' me a tool?
Old 03-04-2005, 06:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I'm having a hard time picturing how this would exactly work...
Old 03-04-2005, 11:31 AM
Shark Bait

Teflon,

If you head to that page, there's a nifty picture...

Mark,
Most definitely!!

Nick
Old 03-04-2005, 01:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I still don't get it Nick!

Last edited by teflon_jones; 03-04-2005 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:55 AM
Shark Bait

I haven't actually made one, but assume the bungee effect of the ball and cord would act like the line unfurling and loading during the cast. Just food for thought..that's all.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:31 AM

The Tool- Explained.

Hi All,

When I came up with this I was looking for something that would mimic the feeling of double hauling (correctly) and have the same timing as double hauling with about 15 meters of fly line.

The gizmo works because the elastic has an elastic limit. At a certain point the braid around the elastic stops it stretching any further giving you a tight line to pull on.

Smoothly acellerating the ball gives the same feeling as double hauling and any inaccuracies in both application or power and timing mean the ball does not move and it just goes nowhere and the whole thing falls apart. The stretch in the elastic means it guides you towards the correct timing and feel automatically. If you can get the ball swinging back and forth you are successfully double hauling.

It takes the same time for the ball to stretch the elastic as it does for 15 meters of fly line to unfurl so the timig is the same. Once the elastic is fully stretched and the elastic limit reached you smoothly start the stroke in the other direction.

Cheers,
Carl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.