Last two weeks on sky? - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2005, 10:00 AM

Last two weeks on sky?

Don't want anyone to get too carried away but what did those who fished the Sky the last two weeks think on the end of the season.

Sure were a lot of fish caught by fly fishermen. For such a low water situation as we had fish still came in the river. Was it the big tides two weeks ago or the full moon that put so many fish in a river that was extreamly low. Please don't name runs if you had fish on just a report of what you thought of the last two weeks and what might have put so many fish in the river.
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2005, 10:35 AM

I think its simple........

Not having been there I feel a relutance to post but here goes anyway.
The single most important reason that you may have had a few fish in the Sky the last few weeks was undoubtly that all the Gillnets that are in exisitance were on the OP!!!!!!!!!!
Glad to hear you fellows had a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2005, 10:44 AM

Best Feb of my life

I hooked several fish in feb including a really large one. These aggressive wild fish are great confidence builders. The big boy I saw roll as I was landing a different fish. Worked down to it and hooked it. Most were in familiar spots but 3 were not and that was encouraging.

I believe that the fish came back to the Sky simply so that they could hit my fly swung on a light tip in the midday sun.

Now that the sky is closed, we are heading out to the OP tonight through sunday.

Next highlight on tap after that ... Neah bay.

-tony

Last edited by SalmoGairdneri; 03-02-2005 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Chief of E.P.

I would have to say that I would postulate that the high numbers of fish taken on the fly in the last week or two would be the result of a strong returning wild run or at least a strong early wild component.

That being said, I didn't touch a fish the last two weeks on the Sky nor did I see any fish hit. All this talk of huge success rates could very well be smoke and mirrors. I did hear the Cracker Bar was fishing extreamly well though.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:16 AM

Hmm, I put in a few days over the past week and was able to draw a big fat donut. I did see a couple fish caught by gear guys though, including a nice mid-teens buck taken from right in front of me. I guess I should've been fishing the "gob of eggs" pattern. Amazing to see the Sky so low at the end of February.

Like 'Tip, I think and hope the good reports indicate a good front end for this year's return of wild fish. May they keep coming in even bigger numbers now through June...

And since I've started down the wishful thinking road, everyone do their rain dance for the rest of winter, spring and summer!
Old 03-02-2005, 12:40 PM

Ya know Howzer if you would fish a little more you could change doughnuts to glazed nuggets.

I'm not sure if there are more than usual amount of fish in river. Fish seemed to be in a 3 mile area and holding right there. Won't say which area but most probably know. Fish did not want to move once they got to a certain point. It was fun fishing wild fish that would happily take. It was fun sitting on the river bank two hours before light on a clear sky and a full moon just watching the river go by and know that the run you were going to fish would have fish in it. How often has that happened in the last 5 to 10 years?

But I'm glad the season has ended I'm sick of sinktip not hooking anything at all and calling me 3 times a morning at the office before 0800 telling me he had not hooked any steelhead.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:25 PM
LBFF Mojo

Yeah the wild whitefish were sure taking flies well.

-sean
Old 03-02-2005, 01:26 PM
Chief of E.P.

Only for you my brother would I take the time to call and let you know not to worry, there were no fish biting. At least no fish taking my meager offerings.

Think how I feel though, if fishing would have been any worse, I would need to be in therapy for severe depression.

"steelhead do exist, they really do, and one day I will prove it!"

Last edited by sinktip; 03-02-2005 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:33 PM
LBFF Mojo

All being said the highlights of my February were:

Lowholing Sinktip and then poaching OC.

Actually beating Sinktip to a run for once in my life.

Hopefully the good reports are good news for the sky fish. I have never heard so many rumors of fish in February since I started fishing the sky a few years ago.

You never know though, could have just been a good push of fish. I am never sure what to make of the final reports we get from wdfw.

-sean
Old 03-02-2005, 01:39 PM

I hear you sinktip, and thanks for the calls letting me know there were no fish in the river so that I would not make a useless trips down to the river.

And Sean keep catching wild white fish they sure looked pretty nice. But please stop catching them behind me or I'm going to start bobber fly fishing like Sparkey used to do and fish up river in your water.

Does anyone ever let someone else tie a fly on your leader? Don't it can hurt the the one who ties it more than the one who fishes it.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:14 PM
Chief of E.P.

OC,

Yes, still feeling the pain. I would add a couple slight corrections though for accuracy sake. First, it was the leader that failed and not the knot and second, it was my leader and not yours. I would be very happy to tie all the flies on your your leaders from now on but you might not land anything. When it is on my leader, I do take it personally.

What the heck, doesn't matter anyways, there were no steelhead in the river.

The first directive of the intellignece community -- Always maintain the option of plausible denial.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:28 PM

Hey Sinktip!

I think we got them all confused by now.

The fish.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:46 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
just because the river is closed, doesn't mean you all can start posting reports. think about the crowds that will converge on the Sky next winter now!

Last edited by NrthFrk16; 03-02-2005 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:58 PM
Jolly Buddha

Remember Yogi Berra

THE NEWER CHIEF of E.P.

Real Steelhead Don't Eat Pellets!!

Last edited by Brian Simonseth; 03-03-2005 at 02:25 AM.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:05 PM

Hey Sparkey,

Last day on river had 5 behind me on the run. Can it get any worse? Well maybe when we all go up to fish the KERRY S RUN on the most northern S river. By the way all 5 folks seemed like very nice people including your boss.

As for this thread only salmo caught a fish from what I see. You really didn't catch any fish on the sky this year or did you?

I only started this post to rub it in to our freinds that fish a little further north. Just wanted to let them know that we had as bad a year on the Sky as they are still having up north.

If too many show up next winter on the sky it will be because you have taught then in your past to fish bobber and nymph. You must live the rest of your life with you evil past.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.