Guess It Coulda Been Worse - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2005, 08:52 AM
Middle Aged Member

Guess It Coulda Been Worse

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/USLocalStd.asp?loc=kcqx&seg=LocalWeather&prodgrp=H istoricWeather&product=PastObservations&prodnav=no ne
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2005, 09:58 AM
Pencil me in.....

This situation is not good...especially the extended forecast for little melting...I am required to get the yard cleaned up prior to the first trip to the Slocum or the Wewe and I am running out of time....are you coming over to help Fred?
Old 03-01-2005, 10:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I just don't care any more. I've already been through one snow shovel this winter (all the snow snapped it to pieces!), and the next one's not far behind. I'm so damn sick of winter! I need to go FISHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2005, 10:48 AM
Flats Rat

Despite the overabundance of white stuff this winter (my plowing guy is looking at vacationing in Hawaii this spring ), my sense is that the average temperature has been milder than last year. January '04 was frigid with sub-zero temps daily almost throughout the month and into Feb. The small stream that runs through our property is still flowing under a very thin snow/ice skin- as I discovered this morning when I almost did a face plant attempting a graceful "Schuss" on my XC skis. The springer spaniels were not impressed. A few weeks ago it was frozen solid.

I guess to be really scientific one would need to check average ice depth at various lakes and compare with this time last year. Out in LI sound the water temp is 34F.

I wonder what are the real factors that determine wether the season will be a week or two early, late or "normal"? Are there critical events in the winter/spring transition that get the ball rolling? Increasing daylight hours is a major factor and fairly predictable. The flowering of certain shrubs and trees often coincides with the appearance of first stripers at certain locations. But what about the underlying cause - is it a function of the overall winter severity or a matter of a few consistent days that push the averages above a key threshold?
Old 03-01-2005, 11:46 AM
Middle Aged Member

Actually I posted the link while pondering the effects of last nights event on places like South Beach. Seems they were predicting stronger winds and gusts. High tide was about 3:00am, about the same time as peak winds.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:55 AM
Pencil me in.....

Fred, I will continue to focus on my backyard aka the Middleside

Adrian,

Don't know about those migrating Stripers but it has been my experience that a rapid warmup in the early spring turns off those largemouth
Old 03-02-2005, 11:59 AM
Middle Aged Member

Before the storm (Sunday, 2/27)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2005-02-27 xp2 cape  chatham beach 1 tweekb.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	4543  
Old 03-02-2005, 01:57 PM
In moderation

The weather is very similar here in Europe.
We have had below zero (Celcius) temperatures now for a few weeks and it snows every day. It is not normal.
I have decided to see what the weather and the fishing is like in the Seychelles next week.

Pete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2005, 07:26 PM
Middle Aged Member

I was at the light at about low tide this afternoon and people were strolling on what used to be mecca. It was chilly so I'm sure they didn't take thier shoes and socks to get there. Not much water down the south end bowl.

Unfortunately, I forgot the camera.

Edit - checkout onshore's pic and discription here.

http://www.surfcaster.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6636

Last edited by FredA; 03-05-2005 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:13 PM
President of CAC

Wink

Fred, great reports... what I need to know is did you bring the coffee?????
Old 03-06-2005, 07:51 PM
I remember sometimes...,

Talking

Ok Guys,
Not to rub it in..., but Spring finally arrived Northern CA this past week.
Lot's of sun and the smallmouth bite is beginning in the nearby lakes. I've had a few pretty decent days. Trees are in full blossom and I am once again back to the weekly lawn mowing.
So, it won't be long before the it heads your way.
Hope it warms up for you guys and the stripers start heading to your flies.
See you all in May.
Rooster
Old 03-06-2005, 09:11 PM
President of CAC

Dennis, it looks like we can hit the mecca this summer before heading to the rip rider... and now we will be able to lug "big Blue" out to the mecca too.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:47 PM
I remember sometimes...,

Hey John,
I'm bringing Dan to tote it!
I also have another buddy from CA joining us for the first time. Should be a good few weeks. Annex will be holding 2-6 Anglers for most of latter May and early June, so I'm sure I can talk at least one of them into being the mule.
Hope you guys warm up. I'm really curious to see if some of my old spots on the West side of N. Monomy improve with the changes in Southbeach.
Cheers,
DK
Old 03-09-2005, 01:03 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Storm Last Night

Well,

Last night's storm in New Hampshire was by far the worst winter weather of the year for us.

We did not get much activity from the blizzard a few weeks ago. However, the winds last night were amazing. It was brutal.

With a 7.7 high tide on the Outside in Chatham I wonder if the sands were getting all stirred up (once again) by yesterday's storm.

I look forward to hearing more about the Mecca and points thereabouts.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 03-11-2005, 12:54 PM

Sounds like more snow again this weekend for you all. Keep your chin up though because someday Spring will come. Though I am thinking about bringing my Sorels for my June trip to Cape Cod.

Consider yourself lucky in New England as the Pacific NW is in it's worst drought maybe ever. Some places on the west side have only 8% snow pack. Went over the pass this week outside of Seattle and the ski area was bare brown grass. They were only open for a couple of weeks this early winter. The governor just called a drought emergency state wide and there has even been talk of closing our summer steelhead season down on our west side rivers because there won't be enough water and there is justifiable concern that fish will be stressed out with low water and warm water temps. We have had temps in the upper 50's to mid 60's for weeks now and one day in the low 70's. The early spring flowers in the yard have already gone by, the pear trees are in bloom and I mowed the lawn yesterday.

Days are getting longer, it's going to warm up for you all and you will forget most of the last 5 months. For us on the other coast north of N. California we are just getting into a long season we may never be able to forget.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.