Cutter's Bayhouse & Wild Steelhead - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2005, 01:17 AM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Cutter's Bayhouse & Wild Steelhead

First of all, I would like to preface this by saying that I am not one who believes Native Americans should be stripped of their right to fish. However, I believe in moderation and I believe that those who are benefiting from the resource should also respect the resource.

Moderation and Respect were two things that I did not witness this past week. I popped out my camera to snap a couple pics of the tribal nets, my intent was to have some photo's to present to Cutter's/Restaurants Unlimited in our campaign to convince them to halt the sell of Wild Hoh River steelhead. I ended up with photos of tribal fishermen herding fish; slots, side channels and riffles strung with nets; and a beautiful mid teen wild steelhead wrapped up in a net.

Let the campaign against Cutter's & Restaurnts Unlimited begin!

Not too long after a good freind and myself waded out into a flat to fish a slot below Barlow's and just above the Mouth, a tribal fisherman placed two nets. One was strung across the first riffle above the mouth and another was placed across the riffle upstream as well.

Given the skinny water, the traveling lanes of the fish coming in on the backside of the tide were very limited. Between placing the 1st and 2nd nets and after placing the 2nd, the tribal fisherman began to run up into the top of the riffles above the nets and slap and pound the water and his sled as he drifted downstream towards the net. He would then run downstream of that said net and again pound and slap the water and his boat with a large wooden pole as he idled towards the set net. He would then run into the tailouts upstream of the nets and continue to slap and pound the water and his boat with all the force he could as he drifted through the tailout, into the riffle and towards the set net. Given the low water, I would presume that this technique is very effective as the fish are herded into the nets. He continued this cycle for almost a full hour.

The following picture vaguely shows just what I am describing.

We then ran upstream, lacking any confidence to raise a fish amongst this mess.

After fishing some other water, we made our way into Nolan Bar at about 3 in the afternoon. As we walked down the side chanel, river right, the chanel with 80% of the water was strung across with one net. Just a few minutes, I saw a tribal fisherman trailer up his boat and head towards 101. I would presume that the nets would be checked sometime mid-morning the following day.

After walking downstream to explore some more water, another net was strung just below the confluence of both side chanels. As you will see, this is a larger net and you may be able to pick out the fact that half the floats are sunk. Stuffed with fish I presume.

Last but not least, one of the nets we ran across had a recent arrival, a mid-teen wild hen. I don't know but word has it, she survived so that she could continue her upstream journey. :evil:

And for many of those that fish rivers that experience heavy tribal netting, these sort of pictures will be nothing new. However in a low water year with fairly scarce numbers of fish, moderation and respect for the resource is a must.

Secondly, these pictures and the story that accompanies them will be presented to the powers that be at Cutter's and Restaurants Unlimited with a polite request that they halt the sale of wild steelhead at all their establishments.

At the very least, please sign this thread stating that you do not support the sale of wild steelhead and that you will not dine at their establishments until they do halt the sale of wild steelhead. Or you may go one step further and email the executives at Restaurants Unlimited to express your feelings.

The following link provides you with the who's who at Restaurants Unlimited

RUI Execs

and this link provides with a form to send off an email to the powers that be at RUI

Contact RUI

The following is a list of all the restaurants owned by RUI, the parent company of Cutter's Bayhouse:
* Clinkerdaggers - Spokane, WA
* Horatio's - San Leandro, CA
* Maggie's Bluff - Seattle, WA
* Palamino - Charlotte, NC / Cincinnati, OH / Dallas, TX / Denver, CO / Honolulu, HI / Indianapolis, IN / Los Angeles, CA / Minneapolis, MN / Pittsburgh, PA / San Francisco, CA / Seattle, WA
* Scott's Bar & Grill - Edmonds, WA
* Skate's on the Bay - Berkeley, CA
* Cutters Bayhouse - Seattle, WA
* Kincaid's - Bloomington, MN / Burlingame, CA / Honolulu, HI / Norfolk, VA / Oakland, CA / Phoenix, AZ / Redondo Beach, CA / Redondo Beach, CA
* Palisade - Seattle, WA
* Ryan's Grill - Honolulu, HI
* Simon & Seafort's - Anchorage, AK
* Stanley & Seafort's - Tacoma, WA

Last edited by NrthFrk16; 03-17-2005 at 03:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2005, 10:06 AM

Thanks Sparky nice job, glad to see you are still alive. Looking forward to Sundays Seattle times. Sounds like the big story will make front page that there will be an investigation into the WDFG by the governors office about their evil doings and cover ups. We must keep the pressure on every minute of the day. Please everyone, not only send an e-mail to this food chain Sparky mentioned but to the governor also. Tell her that as a conservationist not a sport fisherman that you are fed up with our fish&game department. It's time that the WDFD go the way of all dinosaurs have in the past. It's time for a new department that is conservation minded first and a positive to our resourses. It is time for Koeings top officials within the major departments to step down, they have been pure failure. Can anyone tell me one positive thing they have done for our coastal ocean and our rivers over the last 10 years. Now when we have the Governors attention is the time to hit hardest. Please, please put pressure on.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:11 AM

Thanks for posting this information Ryan. I just fired off a message to RUI. Also will start spreading the word.

Also, urging everyone who's read Sparky's post click on the hot link to RUI and send them some feedback asap. Make sure to let them know that based on their current menu offerings you'll be spending your dining dollars eleswhere.

Chris
Old 02-25-2005, 01:20 PM

anybody have an email address for the governor or her office ....a personal phone line would be nice
-Thomas
Old 02-25-2005, 02:26 PM

Try this one. www.governor.wa.gov/contract/default.htm you can get all the info you need. Also it is best to mention that you want the governors staff to address this issue or else they will send it to our beloved WDFG.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:16 PM

Keep up the emails guys. Soon the Wild Steelhead Coalition will get together with RU.

Leland.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:15 PM

Thanks for the link to the Governor. Just e mailed her as well demanding immediate change to protect this years returning wild fish.
Chris
Old 02-25-2005, 11:27 PM
SteelFeathers

Thank You

Just sent my message to RUI stating that not only will I boycott until a public statement is made vowing an end to this practice, but that I will implore anyone I know to do the same. I recommend that all messages be stated professionally. This can be done and still let them know just how outraged you are. I do think they will have more effect if they are written appopriately. Thank you for taking the time to ask us all to help. It took all of five minutes to write them.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:11 AM

Cool

Funny that RUI isn't replying to any of the e-mails they received ... Anyone getting any feedback from them ??
Old 02-26-2005, 09:44 AM
Jolly Buddha

Nope, nothing yet

THE NEWER CHIEF of E.P.

Real Steelhead Don't Eat Pellets!!
Old 02-26-2005, 10:29 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

it's a weekend.... perhaps Monday or Tuesday
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 02-26-2005, 10:55 AM

Juro,

Well I sent out a note in the early afternoon yesterday (EST), so it was before noon at their head office.

I'd think such a big org could get at least a quick "we'll get back to you" turned around in a few hours.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:07 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Hopefully more people will write to give them a good reason to be delayed!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 02-26-2005, 11:48 AM
Swinger of Flies

I sent my letter off to RU. I will work on one to send to the Gov.

On another (slighty more positive note) King 5 News is blipping in about the Makah and major over harvest of chinook. curious to see how that plays out.

I was in the grocery store last night figuring I would cook for a change. I was in a slightly fishy mood after catching a pretty good sized nate the other day. Anyhow, Safeway sure has alot of fresh, "wild" copper river sockeye on display. I opted for some yard bird instead.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:11 AM

copper river sockeye in february?!
-thomas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.