some more off the bench tonight - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2005, 08:45 PM

some more off the bench tonight

Looks like I have a way to go to catch up with you guys, Maybe next year my creations will start to get more refined. Question, how do you get the pics to show up in the threads and not in the attachements?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	4533   Click image for larger version

Name:	chart spey.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	4534   Click image for larger version

Name:	egg sucking spey.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	4535   Click image for larger version

Name:	orange hair.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	4536  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2005, 11:52 PM

Shaq
I attach mine one at a time and they just seem to show up in the thread. Your flies definitely look "fishy" - ultimately this is the determinant that realy counts!
Happy tying
speydoc
Old 02-25-2005, 08:13 AM

Shaq, are these new designs or have you fished them for a while?
Old 02-25-2005, 08:18 AM

Peter

These are new designs based on fished colors, if that makes sense. The purple one is in my favorite egg sucking leech colors and the orange one is in my favorite fall popsicle colors. mostly I fish buggers, popsicles and bunnies. I found last year that I would catch one or two in a pool and then they would turn off. I tied these a bit smaller so as to maybe get one more this year. I am enjoying this because I never know how it's going to turn out, kinda mad-scientist tying. Not sticking to a pattern
Old 02-25-2005, 08:54 AM
fish'n Hobo

Nice Flies Shaq!
In the Spring I like to swing speys and streamers in the tails of the big pools on the Salmon (trestle, papermill etc.). I do have a hard time getting the winter fish to move for a swung fly when the water is below 36 degrees. Any pointers ?
Btw: I'm in Lake George....are you from the L. Champlain area?
Old 02-25-2005, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaq
These are new designs based on fished colors, if that makes sense.

Makes lots of sense. I think a lot of us do that at times. We want a purple & black marabou spey so we chuck some on a hook and haul up a few fish with it. Considering that two of the four success factors for catching steelhead relate to the fly (colour, size, speed of presentation, depth of presentation), I think it's more important to have certain colours and sizes covered rather than a bunch of specific patterns. There are probably only a few outstanding patterns out there that produce more fish on a consistent basis. As far as the rest goes, one is as good as the other, so we might as well have fun inventing our own.

A few years back, I got tired of arriving at streamside to be told by a successful angler that, "They're hitting yellow today." and not having anything close in the box. So I tied up a bunch of non-descript wet flies, four to a colour, using eight colours. Always carried those 32 flies around to be sure that if there was a hot colour of the day, I'd have a fly of that colour. Simple, but it worked.

Last edited by peter-s-c; 02-25-2005 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Miller
Nice Flies Shaq!
In the Spring I like to swing speys and streamers in the tails of the big pools on the Salmon (trestle, papermill etc.). I do have a hard time getting the winter fish to move for a swung fly when the water is below 36 degrees. Any pointers ?
Btw: I'm in Lake George....are you from the L. Champlain area?

Jim, I like to swing flies in the spring and fall. I think the temp range for not chasing is more like 40 but I have only one season of swinging under my belt. I have bween fishing the Salmon for 15 years though. I live near Saratoga actually and try to get up to the Champlain tribs but I usually end up on the salmon. This year I have vowed to make it up to the Boquet and Saranac this spring though. I was up at the Salmon last Sunday and had a great day. All three in my group had multiple hook-ups but we were chucking in the fly zone. I spend alot of time near you, on the Schrroon and upper hudson system. I have been using the spey exclusively for smallmouth bass. I think they are my second favorite spey fish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.