First Rod -G Loomis - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2005, 11:07 PM

First Rod -G Loomis

I am thinking about starting fly fishing and was considering purchasing a G.Loomis GL2 for my first rod. I will mainly be fishing warm water (pond bass and sunfish) with the occassion (once a year) western trout trip. For the price is the GL2 a good rod to start with? Are there better rods for a beginner in the same price class. I'm looking for a rod that will last me a while.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2005, 11:48 PM

Thumbs down

Webbstock, the GL-2 is a fine rod and a great place to start and a fine rod to learn on (somewhat fast action but with a softer tip)...of course, there are MANY others! I would recommend you cast it before buying to make sure you like the way it handles...and to decide whether you like it enough to "keep it a while." If you feel natural casting it (after getting it a few tries to get used to it) it will most likely be a "keeper." But the GL-2 is a great place to start and a great bargain..a few other fine rods in or near its class:

St. Croix Avid Series
Winston Ibis
Fenwick HMX
Fenwick HMG
TFO Series One
TFO Professional
Redington Wayfarer
Orvis Clearwater
Orvis Streamline
Sage Launch
Sage FLi
G. Loomis GL-3

Zugbugz - Arizona

Last edited by zugbugz; 02-22-2005 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:55 PM

Two More

Good evening,
Here are two more choices;

St Croix Avid series / Premium High Modulus Graphite Blank (SC III)
9' 5wt 2pc............................................... ..........................$190.00
( Ihave this rod, great performer in a wide range of conditions)

Temple Fork Outfiters "Lefty Kreh TiCr Signature Series" / No Blank Description
9' 5wt 4pc / Travel set-up................................................ .$199.00
(I have heard nothing but good reviews on this rod, but have not fished one myself)

PM me if you want more info
Deerhawk
Old 02-23-2005, 12:02 AM

See.....

Webbstock
See, the Zug and I are on the same page, we think you can do a bit better than the G2, even though it's a good rod to start with. And I concur, go to your local shop and try out a bunch on a saturday. Good way to narrow it down.....for free!
Deerhawk
Old 02-23-2005, 01:34 AM
CantAnchorUs

Perhaps you should opt for an 8 wt., cause we all know everyhings BIGGER in Texas! Couldn`t help myself.
Slinger
Old 02-23-2005, 09:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Brands aside, I'd get a 6 wt rod. If you're going to travel with it, then I'd get a 3 or 4 piece so you can carry it on the plane. I'm a big fan of St Croix products, so my recommendation would be this:
Model / Length / Line weight / Pieces / Action / Rod weight / Price
AFT906 / 9' / 6 / 4 / Mod. Fast / 3.75 / $210.00

I've also heard a lot of good things about the Redington Wayfarer. Your best bet though is to go to your local fly shop and try out a bunch of rods until you find one you like.

Last edited by teflon_jones; 02-23-2005 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:45 AM

Where in texas are you? I thinkl that everyones advice is spot on. Hopefully you have a local shop that has a couple of these rods for you to try. Any of them would be a great place to start. Another thing to consider is warrenty, and I suspect that they are all a little different.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:11 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the replies thus far. I will go try some out, but I wanted to get some opinions so I have an idea what to look for and don't get talked into something I don't want or need.

As for where in Texas, I am San Antonio for about 4 more months.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:42 PM

I think for the money & for the purpose Scott V2 is unbeatable......in my opinion.

Last edited by T&TMan; 02-27-2005 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:39 PM
NE Oregon

First Rod -G Loomis?

Webbstock,

I flyfished Texas for a number of years, but mostly Saltwater where I used an 8wt.
and this was needed for the size of the fish (redfish to 20lbs), flies and corresponding line wt. I was casting. But these are generally heavier and more tiring to cast, hence more difficult for beginners to learn with.

If you want a rod size in something that could still cast a streamer fly or popper for a big bass then I recommend you step down to a 7wt. which will still give you good strength even for most redfish, specs and flounder if you go to the salt. As well the strength you need to cast in the winds, but will be lighter and easier to cast.

But usually beginners start with a 6wt rod as this is THE UNIVERSAL best and most popular weight in fly rods. This weight is a nice compromise between a heavy 8 wt. rod and the lightest rods in 4 or 5wt, for panfish. It will be the easiest for you to learn to cast with and will not limit you too much in what you can handle. A 5 to 6lb. bass will just take a bit more time to tire out and the lighter rod will be easier and more fun to learn to cast with.

So IMO if you get at least a "progressive to fast action" 6wt. you should still have enough weight to cast bigger bass flies medium distances (which have more air resisitance and hence need more force or line weight to cast) and most importantly you will have the perfect rod for panfish and smallmouth.

Last edited by Mulepadre; 02-27-2005 at 08:48 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.