Leader Construction (Flats) - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2005, 05:55 PM

Leader Construction (Flats)

Good Evening,
Been researching leader construction tips and formulas on the web for the last hour............confusing to say the least!
There seem to be 2 major theories on what is best for 9 to 10 ft long leaders:
1. 60% butt section...20% mid section...20% tippet;
2. the 3-2-1 theory.........3 ft of butt, 2 mid sections...one2 ft long, the other 1 ft long...........then tippet
(tapering down approx. 10lb per section
Complicating the above........3 theories on how the butt section is connected to the fly line:
1. loop to loop;
2. direct connection of butt (1 ft long) to fly line with nail or albright knot (for mono core lines), then looped;
3. same as 2, but the butt section should be 3 ft long.

Add that all say that the butt section should have the same diameter of the fly line.

So.........what is the preference of my fellow FF's for flats fishing??? Obviously I desire good fly turnover and good transfer of power from the fly line to the leader.

As you can see, I'm anticipating the snow storm tomorrow and planning to participate in some "leader"ship activities.

Will welcome all the advice I can get.
Thanks,
Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2005, 07:42 PM
Bauer Pauer

Here is a setup to think about that I use. It's pretty simple. It's a 3 piece leader. 3' of 33lb Rio hard mono nail knotted to your fly line. From the 33lb I attach another 3' piece of 22lb Rio hard mono bye either using a blood knot or surgeons knott. At the other end of the 22lb hard mono I loop to loop a 3' piece of either 20lb or 16lb Flourocarbon.

It's 3 seperate 3ft sections.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I can't help you out with the construction question. I'm a big fan of tapered leaders and that's all I fish!

As for attaching it to the line, I like to use something like a snell knot. I have no idea what the correct name of it is!
Old 02-21-2005, 07:00 AM
Middle Aged Member

First year or two I did this stuff would frett over the leader, don't think about it as much anymore. I use the 33# Rio hard stuff looped to a 20 or 16# flouro tippit. Sometimes for flats I'll taper down the butt to 24# hard stuff. Loops for fly line and tippet connections. Usually I bimini the tippet to make the loop (don't ask me why, I'm just comfortable with it) then taper down the tippet, if needed, using Orvis knots. On the fly line to butt transition you want the two lines to have about the same flexural characterisitics.

There's a lot of good stuff on this topic in the loops and lines forum from early on.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:30 AM

Thanks Guys,
Fred I looked up leader construction on this site previously, didn't find anything....will look up again under tippet, connections etc. Thanks for the input. The past 3 years I've used a looped connection to the fly line, then a loop for the tippet section. Used an all flouro butt section as well as tippet. It has worked fine, just was curious to see what others weere using and IF there was a better way and what the rational was.
Ron
Old 02-21-2005, 07:45 AM
Middle Aged Member

Ron, search on "leaders".
Old 02-21-2005, 07:56 AM

found it Fred

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.