Using Milage Points to the Bahamas - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2005, 05:48 PM

Using Milage Points to the Bahamas

This is my first post. This is a great site. I am planning my first trip to the Bahamas for Bones - hopefully April or May of 2006. I have a number of available frequent flier miles / points. Anyone have any experience on using points to go bonefishing. Thanks in advance. Traveller
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2005, 07:56 PM
Captain Dave R.

exuma

American airlines flies directly into Exuma, the Bahamas. You can get there through Miami airport, American airlines also from many points in the USA. There is terrific bonefishing, some permit and tarpon in Exuma. You can take a guide or fish on your own in Exuma. There are many accessible flats that you can walk with ease. To get to them all you have to do is rent a car, about $240 for six days. You can rent a car the airport or at Sam Gray's in the town of Georgetown. Guaranteed you'll catch a bone.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:58 PM
Captain Dave R.

also...

If you go, stay at the Peace and Plenty beach resort. It's close to town, ,good food, a couple of bars and great people right near the resort.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:06 PM
Flats Rat

American miles are good for most flights but I have never been able to get the Miami/Georgetown leg included.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:27 PM

I use FF miles all the time for various flights. The programs vary from airline to airline but they are pretty much the same. The flight will usually be about 35000 miles but you'll have to book it way, way, way in advance. With this type of reward ticket you won't have much flexibility as to when you can fly in and out and the airlines have a amazing knack for blacking out days and times that you'll need in order to make the trip work.

A more likely scenario is using double miles (if you have enough). For 70000 miles you name the time, day, place, etc and as long as there is a seat available on the flight you want, it's yours. You won't have to book as far in advance, which is key when you're coordinating lodge availability and all the other variables that go into planning a successful trip.

My .02, go with spending more miles and get the added flexibility. If that doesn't work buy the ticket outright. What you'll save in airfare by using 35000 miles, you usually give back in other costs, when the airline limits your options.

One last thing, credit card FF programs are much more flexible (don't know which you were planning on using) and shouldn't be too hard to use.

Best of luck,
Dave

Last edited by Dave17; 02-22-2005 at 05:29 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.