Oly Pen patterns(early March) - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2005, 08:47 AM
Licensed Curmudgeon

Send a message via ICQ to silverdoc Send a message via AIM to silverdoc
Question Oly Pen patterns(early March)

OK, 3 cheesheads are invading the peninsula from 3/5-3/13.
I've done a batch of Glasso patterns, 'cause ya just hafta have them
What else do we need?
TIA,
http://www.silverdoctor.net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2005, 01:17 PM
Pullin' Thread

Silverdoc,

You will find Glasso's Orange Heron to be one of those flies that like Glasso himself said, "Tie it on in the morning and cut it off in the evening." His version of the Polar Shrimp is one you don't want to be without on the Hoh and Queets. His Brown Heron is for those times when you think the Orange Heron is too bright. An Akroyd with cinamon wing is also very good as in the Inchgarth (I tie these on SJ blind eye hooks).

Other flies you should consider carrying are a G.P. in orange and a WA State variant of the G.P. Sean Gallegher came up with called Sean's Prawn: a G.P. that has hot pink added to the orange bucktail tail and a hot pink hackle added as a face hackle before the front wing is tied in. Ally's Shrimp in orange, purple, and hot pink and orange (hot orange and hot pink tail with some cerise Krytal Flash; gold oval rib; rear body hot pink floss (I like Uni-Stretch); front body hot orange floss (again I like Uni-Stretch); red or hot pink squirrel tail body veils; hot pink G.P. tippet wing; mixed hot orange and hot pink hackle; head flame or cerise thread.

A spey fly originated by Don Kaas of Port Angeles he calls the Red Knight: tail hot pink G.P. tippet fibers; large oval silver rib; rear body flame floss; mid-body flame dubbing; front body hot pink dubbing; grey spey hackle; teal or gadwall throat; wing is 3-4 strands of cerise Kystal Flash followed by 1 hot pink G.P. rump feather with 1 natural red G.P. breast feather over tied flat like a G.P. wing; head red thread.

Veverka's Purple Sol Duc is worth having as is Gobin's Purple Spey (hot pink floss rear body, purple dubbing; silver rib, purple spey feather hackle; natural guinea throat; bronze mallard wing). Walt Johnson's Deep Purple Spey is another one that works at times when others don't.

Marabou spiders in black & hot orange, black & chartreuse, black & fushcia (or hot pink), purple & black, hot orange & pink, red & hot pink, black & dark blue, hot orange & yellow, and red & orange & yellow are also good ones.

If you want to use classic featherwings, Kate, Kelson's Purple Emperor; and the Red Sandy are excellent choices.

Truthfully, the Orange Heron, Glasso Polar Shrimp, Sol Duc Spey, Sol Duc, G.P. Sean's Prawn, Ally's Shrimp in orange, purple, and hot pink & orange, any of the purple speys, and Don Kaas Red Knight are all you need for any of the OP rivers.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:16 PM

Silverdoc,

You have more than you need, and Flytier's suggestions augment art and craft more appreciated by steelheading afficionados than by the steelhead we seek. I appreciate beautiful flies, but I know with certainty that they are completely unnecessary as far as attracting, hooking, and catching steelhead is concerned. I've caught lots of steelhead on flies that were nothing more than a couple marabou feathers tied on a hook. When I feel like I've got extra time on my hands, I palmer the marabou feathers and add some body material to make the flies look prettier to me. But I'm never fooled into believing it makes any difference whatever to my quarry.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:43 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I've done well with purple on the Hoh, black and/or purple on he Duc, orange on the Bogey and Calawah and my black bunny rat has done the deed for me on sinktips many times in winter on most of the rivers I've haunted out on the west side in winter. Summer would be a whole different story.

More importantly just put a good pattern out there and swing it slow in the fishiest water, and be ready when the silver submarine decides to kill it.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.