alternate spey hackles - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2005, 06:40 PM
LBFF Mojo

alternate spey hackles

Think I lost intruder fever but have been looking to the more radical feathers like rhea to hackle my speys and dees. These bigger hackles give the fly more bulk and I think you can get big fly presense but maintain that traditional look.

Here is what I am calling a pink turkey using amherst pheasant. Head is a little bigger than it needs to be as I had put a hackle tip wing on it but it just did not look right. Ripped it off and used turkey instead.

In the future I will use a better contrasting collar and less pheasant but I like the looks of this. Will see how it fishes tomorrow...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spey.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	4511  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2005, 07:02 PM

Sean, great looking fly. I am using more Lady Amhearst tail and I really like the effect. Let us know how it works. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:48 PM
Nick Pionessa OOFS

sean, you should try burning that pheasant to remove the web and i think it will be more like what you are after. the length and stem on that pheasant are great but the web makes it bulk together. the burned stuff is sparser and gives a more traditional look. this fly has burned rooster tail for the hackle, which is nice because you get a long thin stem length. the fibers are only long enough for #3 maybe, that's a 1.5" tube.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WHITE-SPEY.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	4512  
Old 02-16-2005, 09:47 PM

Great looking flies Sean & Black Francis. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can get ahold of rhea or lady amhearst. I checked a few of the sponsors' sites but haven't located any yet.
thanks for any leads.
mike
Old 02-16-2005, 10:17 PM
LBFF Mojo

Nice fly!

Yeah burning works but i never have liked the slight color change that usually happens. Before fishing just run the hackle through your thumb and palm (Flytyer has detailed this method in this forum) and it breaks up the hackle nicely. Should have done it before I snapped this shot...

I know Aaron at River Run Anglers can get you some rhea and amherst. Also check out the Fly Fishing Shop as they may have it. Both are on the sponsor list on the top right corner of the page.

-sean

Last edited by sean; 02-16-2005 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:28 PM
Mossback Hillbilly

Sean: Do you tie an emergent flesh fly also? Have fun out there, watch out for those wiry boys that prowl the streambanks. and have fun in the trees. Pick up some of my flies for me also, if you wouldn't mind. Your 'host' will show you where they are.............................

local
Old 02-21-2005, 09:32 PM

Sean
Nice fly - I used amherst fibres in a wire dubbing loop to get a sparser hackle in the past when using it as a body hackle. Curantly I prefer using the amherst with just a turn or two at the throat with rhea for the body - I cut off every second fibre from the rhea prior to wrapping to get a sparser effect.
speydoc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.