Sky and Stilly to Close - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2005, 06:47 PM
Holdout

Sky and Stilly to Close

After last years final run numbers I was hoping for a better showing, 44% is not good

Fishing Rule Change
WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, Washington 98501-1091
Internet Address: wdfw.wa.gov
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___

February 15, 2005

Skykomish River closes to fishing

Action: The Skykomish River will close to all fishing March 1, 2005. The closure affects the spring (March and April) catch-and-release season.

Effective date: March 1 through May 31, 2005

Species affected: Steelhead and all other game fish.

Location: Skykomish River from its mouth (near the Highway 522 Bridge) to the Sultan River.

Reason for action: The forecast for Snohomish River system wild winter steelhead returning this winter (2004/2005) is 2,883; which is only 44 percent of the basin’s wild winter steelhead spawning escapement goal of 6,500. Due to the low run-size forecast every effort is being taken to minimize impacts on the wild run of steelhead. The closure of the catch-and-release fishery will prevent incidental hooking mortality and disturbance of spawning fish.

Additional Information: In order for a catch-and-release wild winter steelhead fishery to occur, the forecast must be at least 80 percent of the escapement goal or 5,200 fish. A spring fishery for hatchery steelhead will not be considered because the forecast wild run is only 44 percent of escapement needs and by the end of February most hatchery fish have either been harvested or have spawned.

Information contact: Chad Jackson, District Fish Biologist, (425) 775-1311, ext. 113

Fishers must have a current Washington fishing license. Check the current WDFW “Fishing in Washington” rules pamphlet or the Fishing section of the WDFW webpage at wdfw.wa.gov for details on fishing seasons and regulations. Fishing regulations are subject to change. Check the WDFW Fishing hotline for the latest rule information at (360) 902-2500; press 2 for recreational rules; call the Shellfish Rule Change hotline, (360) 796-3215, or toll free 1 (866) 880-5431.

# # #

Fishing Rule Change
WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, Washington 98501-1091
Internet Address: wdfw.wa.gov

February, 15, 2005
North Fork Stillaguamish River
catch-and-release steelhead fishery to close

Action: The North Fork Stillaguamish River will close to all fishing March 1, 2005.

Effective date: March 1 through May 31, 2005

Species affected: Steelhead and all other game fish.

Location: North Fork Stillaguamish River from its mouth to Swede Heaven Bridge.

Reason for action: The forecast for Stillaguamish River system wild winter steelhead returning this winter (2004/2005) is only 44 percent of the wild spawner escapement goal of 1,800. Due to the low run size forecast this year every effort is being taken to minimize impacts on the wild run of steelhead. The closure of the spring season will prevent incidental hooking mortality and disturbance of spawning fish.

Additional Information: In order for a catch-and-release wild winter steelhead fishery to occur, the forecast must be at least 80% of the escapement goal or 1,440 fish. The spring fishery for hatchery steelhead is also being closed because the forecasted wild run is only 44 percent of escapement needs and by the end of February most hatchery fish have either been harvested or spawned.

Information contact: Chad Jackson, District Fish Biologist, (425) 775-1311, ext. 113

Fishers must have a current Washington fishing license. Check the current WDFW “Fishing in Washington” rules pamphlet or the Fishing section of the WDFW webpage at wdfw.wa.gov for details on fishing seasons and regulations. Fishing regulations are subject to change. Check the WDFW Fishing hotline for the latest rule information at (360) 902-2500; press 2 for recreational rules; call the Shellfish Rule Change hotline, (360) 796-3215, or toll free 1 (866) 880-5431.

-Lost poor realitive of the Simms family fishing fortune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2005, 08:26 PM
Jolly Buddha

I wonder when more announcements like these will show up again?

THE NEWER CHIEF of E.P.

Real Steelhead Don't Eat Pellets!!
Old 02-15-2005, 09:32 PM
Make it a double!

Click here for cool art from the NW
Old 02-16-2005, 09:33 AM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Damn, this means all of the metrosexual types will be showing up at the Skagit again.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:38 AM

Kerry,

After a day of fishing your runs can we knock on your door for dinner? We will bring the usual metrosexual items, Bottle of light white for before dinner, a bottle of merlot for the meal your wife and you worked so hard on creating for your unexpected guests and last we will bring Starbucks after dinner coffee for your French coffee press. OH LA LA a warm house, good food, good company after a great day of fishing someone else runs.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:38 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

OC,

You are always welcome at my table. Bring the coffee but our house is a smoke/drug/alcohol free zone. A result of to many years of over indulgence.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:12 PM

Thanks Kerry,

When I knock on your door I'll bring a gallon of chocolate milk, the real kind. Hope you don't get run off your river. As we say in the surfing world, Localisim is our only hope, walk softly and carry a 2X4.
fish on.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:23 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC
Thanks Kerry,

When I knock on your door I'll bring a gallon of chocolate milk, the real kind.
Not sure why I find this so funny.

Give me a shout someday. Perhaps I can show you a piece or two of the Skagit you have not seen.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:47 AM

I don't know why everybody worries about those two rivers closing every year at the end of Feburary. It happens so often anymore it's just old hat. But I can remember when the Stilly NF used to be open all year around and was glad when the gear boys got shut out after the middle of April. I guess that it easier to leave it in the regs that to take it out of there. The closing of the rivers at the end of Feb.

Just the musings of an old man.

Jim
Old 02-22-2005, 12:19 AM
Holdout

Ya know, having those two S rivers up North open in the Spring, breeds complacence

-Lost poor realitive of the Simms family fishing fortune

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.