Bears Den Fly Fishing Expo 2/23/05 6pm - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2005, 04:44 PM
admin

Bears Den Fly Fishing Expo 2/23/05 6pm

Don't miss the Bear's Den 7th Annual Fly Fishing Expo

Featuring Lefty Kreh

Wed. Night Feb. 23rd 2005 @ 6:00pm

details here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2005, 06:29 AM

I am going to make every effort to hit this show, if nothing blows up at work I'll be there. Even without Lefty it's a great time but with a chance to see the legend, who could pass that up.

FYI - they are auctioning off a private lesson with Lefty and you can get in on the 6 person lesson, see the details on Scott's site.

It's tough being on a Wednesday night but the locals turn out in great numbers, so much so that it's been moved to a bigger venue.

Hope to see some of you there.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:40 PM
Pencil me in.....

Thumbs up

It was a great turnout....good to see Fred A, FishHawk, Slinger, Sean, Jim W, and Lefty
Old 02-23-2005, 11:54 PM
CantAnchorUs

Disposessed Fly Tier, Looking For Good Home, Will Tie For Table Space.
Thanks to Capt. Ray for having me at his table and letting me spin bunny fur and tall tails. The show was most excellant and Lefty, on his 80th birthday ,was in top form. Saw lots of familiar faces and met some new ones. It was well worth using up a Vac. day(night) to attend.
Slinger
Old 02-24-2005, 06:01 AM

Scott did a great job with this show. Great to see all the Fourm gang, Sllinger,
Roop, Jim W. , Fred A Paul C. and J Basser. Had a personal lesson from Jack Gartside who could ask for anything better.

Lefty is a true ledgen . First time I saw him cast a rod and now I know why he's a great master of the flyrod. Makes casting look effortless. With the tip top section of the rod he can cast farther than normal people with the whole rod.
Again thanks to the Bear's Den for a nice evening. FishHawk
Old 02-24-2005, 06:31 AM
Middle Aged Member

As always, it was great to see everyone. Only wish I had a little time to talk to Juro about stratagies for the upcoming Acklins trip (in the words of a former Patriots coach, I'm getting all "pumped and jacked"). Lefty is amazing.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
That was a great way to spend a Weds night! I probably saw some of you guys there, but didn't know who you were. Hopefully I'll meet some of you on the water in the coming year.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:53 AM

I arrived early and scoped out all the booths, there was a good turnout and as always I picked up a thing or two talking to the folks that earn their living fishing. It was great to see and chat with everyone. I had to finish up some work so I didn't stick around for Left's demonstration but it sure was good to get out.

TJ - on the water sounds good, it won't be long now.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:54 PM
President of CAC

FishHawk, did Gartiside explain to you about how he fishes his new flounder fly in the Cape estuaries around Chatham. It's part of his "Chatham and Monomoy Selection". I wonder when he was wading or boating Monomoy last year , and which estuaries he used all those flies. Did you ask him? .... and what about his 'new' pheasant back crabs... when did use those?

Last edited by striblue; 02-24-2005 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW
TJ - on the water sounds good, it won't be long now.
It can't get here fast enough!!! I'm realllllllly looking forward to another snowstorm today. Looks like another night of fly tying!
Old 02-24-2005, 01:47 PM
Jonesin...

John,

I am no Gartside disciple although I may have fished a gurgler or two every now and then. With that said it is hard not to get the impression from your previous post that you feel Gartside has ripped you off. Am I off base here? The reason I ask is because with the exception of the inclusion of a pheasant feather I don't see a strong resemblence to anything I have seen you tie in his latest creations. If anyting I see more inspiration from two other well known patterns. As far as I can tell there isn't even a touch of epoxy in them. Are you the only one that is allowed to mention Monomoy or fish a crab or flounder pattern? Not trying to start a war here but it seems like you would want to address a topic like that in a more direct manner if you truly feel that way.

Sean
Old 02-24-2005, 02:20 PM
President of CAC

Don't lecture me... that guy has tried to sabotage the book that Branham and I are working on. I won't get into that. I was very direct... the issue is "when did he test those flies". How can that post be any clearer! I did not mention Skok did I... I did not mention copying...You jumped to a conclusion.

Last edited by striblue; 02-24-2005 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:40 PM
Jonesin...

John,

I think I had every right to ask the question and was not "lecturing" anyone. I know for a fact that many tyers develop flies over multiple seasons and very often do so by giving them to guides and friends they trust to test for them in areas they can't or don't have time to get to. I don't pretend to know that is the case here but I think it is not unreasonble to consider it. If you have a personal issue regarding your own commercial enterprise that seems like a separate issue between he and you. I did not mention Skok and to be honest that wasn't one of the patterns I had in mind. However, I did not name them specifically since I have no knowledge of a direct link. I think these are two areas were you have decided to lecture me and made assumptions.

Sean
Old 02-24-2005, 02:49 PM
President of CAC

Sean..This is not the first time you have taken issue with something I have said and ,frankily ,I feel that you just don't "like" my looks..to be honest... I can look back at a pattern of your responses to many of my posts and I find it interesting that this pattern is obvious. This is a lot more than the post above. I asked a question - you assumed - I responded - and you lecture me again.... My last post here is not a lecture but my feelings. I think you want to draw this out but I am not going to. ...finally... there is NO way he had people flish that fly since he came up with it this winter. I asked FisHawk not you.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:00 PM
Jonesin...

John,

Its not that I don't "Like your looks". To be honest I think the one thing this site lacks at times is honest feedback, positive or negative. Many times I see blind praise for different creations etc...I think if you look at my posts you will see that is my pattern not personal attacks against you. You are one of the more prolific posters on this forum so I would expect that you may have more challenging posts from me. I think that if we are going to grow as an angling community (and I know I certainly have lots to learn) we should all challenge each others ideas as that is the only way to truly test them. But I don't think it should be done behind someones back which was my take on your original post. Like it or not this is a public forum and by asking Fishawk you posed the question to everyone not just him.

Sean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.