One in the eye for the salmon killers - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2005, 05:09 PM

One in the eye for the salmon killers

Interesting report for you non Scots,
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4310021.stm
Most of the scottish rivers have a C&R policy, the Dee suggests everything goes back, but I have seen fish being killed for trophies.
The Spey, Tweed suggest as a minimum that the 1st 3rd etc is returned again I have seen the one for the pot boys killing the first so they do not have to go home empty handed.

The Esks took the step of going for a compulsery C&R and I was aware it was very unpopular.

www.speygillie.co.uk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2005, 04:17 AM

Willie,

As I've stated before, I return well over 90% of the fish I catch. However, regardless of what side of the fence you sit on this sticks in the throat, as it seems to be penalising rod and line anglers while the netsman are allowed to take a highly disproportionate number of salmon for profit. This hardly sounds like a measure that has been put in place in the interests of conservation. Anybody who has been following this issue, knows that there are people involved with a definite conflict of interests.

Also, when you pay for a days fishing you are, effectively, leasing the fishing rights. Fishing rights allow you to reap the natural resource, if this element is removed, should anglers be offered a sporting ticket, where the price is substantially lowered.

Also, without going into the figures and detail, the North Esk has one of the most prolific spring runs of Salmon in europe. If there was a genuine concern about conservation on this river, the nets should have been lifted long ago. These are not estuary or in-river nets and could also be taking salmon destined for other less prolific rivers where spring salmon may be at a dangerously low level.

I fail to see the sense in penalising the sporting anglers, while the netsman are allowed to endanger the salmon run.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:55 AM

presumably this means that the netsmen won't be able to pilage the stocks until june as well? i've not seen this stated in the two articles i've read on the matter.....

if that is the case, then the anglers should be thankful for what will undoubtedly be a huge upturn in runs. if it isn't the case then politics north of the border have clearly gone mad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2005, 08:17 AM

I know that the Esk DSFB proposed that the nets were banned until June. I don't know what the final decision was regarding the nets.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.