Second hand 5 weight Which one???? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2005, 04:14 PM

Second hand 5 weight Which one????

I am away to buy a second hand 5 weight rod . I am looking for a 9 ft or 10 ft fairly fast action rod .
As it is only going to be used a couple of times a year i am looking to spend about $100 can anyone give me there opinions.

Thanks Richard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2005, 06:16 PM

it would be hard to make a recomendation without knowing what used rods are available to you at that price. what are your options?
Old 02-10-2005, 10:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Just thinking of what's available used for that amount on eBay and is a good rod:
Sage DS2 (a little above $100, maybe $120 or so)
Redington Wayfarer
TFO Temple Fork
St Croix Avid

There's others, but these are all good ones that are in your price range.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:08 PM

Used 5 wt, fairly fast action

There are tons of choices...You can pick up a Fenwick HMG or HMX easily for the price you desire. For the money, these are good rods. The HMG is the more expensive of the two. Also, you can pick up an Orvis Clearwater or Streamline. G. Loomis GL2, GL3 or Adventure Series are three more great choices. All of the rods previously mentioned are good options as well. I would recommend test casting one before you buy, if at all possible. The Avid previously mentioned is a great rod for the price. Any of these can be had for around $100 or less on ebay.

Good luck!

Zugbugz
Old 03-22-2005, 01:37 AM

Don't touch the HMX. It's a piece of junk I just broke mine today. I like Fenwick, and have been fishing with a 6 wt rod of one modle or another all my life. I would recomend the HMG to anyone. They are very good rods. A used fenwick, especially some of the older models would make a good choice, but stay away from anything if it was made in the last 5 years. They have managed to take a magnificant fly rod, and turn it into a piece of junk. At all costs! Stay away from the HMX!!!

My HMX was new. I got to use it on all of about a dozen trips before it broke. I got a new one, and it split on the third trip out. My father says the same thing, HMX isn't worth the carbon fiber it's made from. I tried to give Fenwick the benefit of the doubt, but I'm curently bidding on a couple of HMG's on E-Bay myself. I have an FF80 bookmarked too. My grandfather used one that was very similar, though I'm not sure of the model, and I loved to borrow the rod. I used an E-85 for a while, which I had absolutely no complaints about, until I slammed it in a car door. My uncle uses a faralite, he has had for ever, and he loves it.

The point of this ranting, is that, though Fenwick is an exelent choice for a used rod, but don't let anyone talk you into that piece of garbage HMX.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:09 AM

look at heritage

i have a 3 piece 5 wt 9 ft herititage. i think it's a great fast action casting rod. i own a number of heritage rods. i am selling the 5 wt because i want a slower action rod. you may want to go on the heritage web site which i believe is castlearms.com. if you are interested you can send me a private e mail

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.