Starting the kids... - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2000, 10:47 AM

Starting the kids...

My 4 year old daughter is now a fishing freak! She's even upset that I didn't let her use the fly rod instead of bait.

Saturday night, her first time fishing, first cast, a nice fat bluegill. She landed 2 more Sat night, 7 Sunday AM.

Two Roop women down - 1 left.

I'm a lucky man.

Roop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2000, 10:41 PM

RE:Starting the kids...

Roop,

My two year old is pretty crazy for it too. He doesn't like the fishing so much as he does the chance to squish worms or grubs or whatever Mom has dug up for him in the yard between his fingers. He's caught a few perch down at the local pond, but so far he seems to enjoy being part of Dad's passion more than anything. I feel the same way.

We should definitely get a kid clave going in the near future!

al
Old 06-19-2000, 08:25 AM

I like the kid clave idea! My son and daughter (5+6) are into bluegills. We just switched to a new pond and are catching some nice perch now. They also have caught scoolies from the row boat on the cape. I find it hard to integrate FF with them though. They neeed constant attention. I use worms, bobbers, ans long shanked hooks with the barbs mashed down. Them panfish like to swallow everything.

TerryW
Old 06-19-2000, 07:34 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Great idea!!

Jay Clancy also mentioned this recently. I remember when I left my son with a 7wt and a popper and walked to help my two nephews up the shore. We turned around and my son was wrestling a large cormorant whose wingspan was threateningly large compared to my son. The bird had swallowed his bluegill and there was no choice but to cut the tippet. I'm sure with that tiny popper in a bluegill that the bird was fine. The worst thing would have been to try and dig out that bluegill backwards against the spines. I had a hard time convincing the birdwatchers that I did the right thing though. Anyway, it was a grand time just the same.

We should integrate an ice cream soda afterwards, or even hotdogs on the grill. The kids love that stuff.

For the New England contingent, I would suggest White's Pond in Concord.

Any takers for clave meister?
Old 07-27-2000, 10:13 AM

Count me in on this. My 4 and 2 year old went fishing for the first time and loved it (esp. the worms .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.