Great day on Penn's Letort - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-07-2005, 11:45 AM
believer in the 10 oz.

Great day on Penn's Letort

Took advantage of the unseasonably warm weather the mid-atlantic experienced this past Sunday and decided to hit one of Pennsylvania's toughest, most demanding streams...the Letort. I started off early with large dark streamers(Actually it is one of Big Dave's egg sucking sculpin patterns that he had tied for steelhead a couple of years ago.) and within an hour had landed one brown of 15 inches and missed another that would have easily pushed the 18 "mark. I fished for another hour or so without any more strikes or follows. I was about to call it quits and head to another stream when I noticed a few little black stones comming off the water. I decided to stay a little longer, hoping the fish would begin to respond to the floating naturals. Within fifteen minutes I had four fish within the section I was fishing rising. I had the perfect fly and good drifts to these fish yet I could not get any of them to even look at my fly. I tried elk hair caddises, small sparse stimulators, BWO's, etc. I knew for a fact that they were taking the stones. I eventually reasoned that since it was so warm the stoneflies in turn were so active(skittering,flying, hovering) that my downwinged profile flies were not giving the fish the silohuette that they wanted. I dug through my box and found a size sixteen adams, cut it flush on the bottom, and reasoned that this was the best approxamation of the naturals that I had....first drift provided me with a fourteen inch wild brown and in the end three more wild browns to fifteen inches before the hatch ended an hour or so later.

All in all it was an awesome day of fishing...wild browns on the surface...and myself in short sleeves...not bad for February!

Last edited by fishboyicu812; 02-07-2005 at 11:52 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2005, 11:52 AM
Fly chucker

Thumbs up

Nothing wrong with a little winter trout action.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:37 PM

jealous

So much for the "Hard and Unforgiving Taskmaster"

Sounds like you're cracking the code on the Letort! Can't beat wild trout on dries in the dead of winter. More importantly: did you stop at the Waffle House?

I think a March visit to PA is in order...
Old 02-11-2005, 04:26 AM

I plan to fish Penn this season my daughter lives in Philly. So I'll kill two birds with one stone. Great report. FishHawk
Old 02-11-2005, 04:18 PM
believer in the 10 oz.

Email or post and I will be more than happy to direct you to some of my favorite stretches of water...some well known and some not so. The months of April and May are generally prime months. Many streams have dependable Sulphur hatches and if you get some cloudy days the BWO's generally show and you can have tremendous surface activity.

Last edited by fishboyicu812; 02-11-2005 at 04:19 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.