SouthWay Closing fast - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2005, 03:02 PM
President of CAC

SouthWay Closing fast

Bill Hubbard sent an e-mail today saying that reports are coming out of Chatham that the break caused by the 05 storm is closing and the entrance to the southway is closing really fast...not to beat a dead horse ,but the southway closing is something that I agreed with from the start. All this water flow around Monomoy is of no consequence in comparison to the greater sand flow forces coming from Head of the Meadows beach area in Truro... that flow is what created Monomoy island in the first place. The break is just a Hiccup in the progress of that flow.... If that cut fills in, which it probably will... then this will speed up the Southway closing.... the out flow from Pleasant Bay will still have an out at the Light house... I will not beak though at the curve in the light house beach area...... so Southbeach will become part of South Monomoy and it will happen very soon. If the Harbor Master thinks necessary and if money is available there could be some dredging since there are a number of marinas and many boaters who use the Southway to get out into the open ocean. Outermost Harbor will be stuck way up in the tub... Stage Harbor and the Harwich marinas will need to make the long journey around the Southern point to get out east of South beach... and Ryder Cove Marina will be sitting in an enviable spot. If all this happens and I would bet on it as I would bet on the Pats, fishing will change far more than we think...Not only will we be able to meander down to South Monomoy on foot... but we will have some interesting situations on the west side of North Monomoy.... The "new Tub" created by the closing of the Southway will probably turn out like the summer fishing in the upper tub... water flows will be as negligable as they are in the upper tub... Morris will still have flows , but it will be dead end flows...water in water out...no southway to create a nice even current. Fish will be there but our old "bouy" fishing will come to an end. New ground to break on South and West North monomoy. JMHO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2005, 05:26 PM

sounds good for waders and not so good for boaters.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:01 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Good point Eddie -

A breach would make the channel boaters hell with people cutting through all day. Mother Nature, please fill it back up!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 02-04-2005, 07:18 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
'Almost time for another...

EyeInTheSky sortie!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EyeInTheSky1.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	4445  
Old 02-04-2005, 10:01 PM
President of CAC

Pete...that picture illustrates perfectly the great forces moving that sand south... you can see two great shoals both pointing south as a result of that flow...The longer term scene 'Could" play out in this way... if that flow over the years fills in the beach in front of the light house..that is... nauset bar moves to block the break at the light then the possibility of history repeating itself.... the force from pleasant Bay would eventually break though the curve at south beach.... continuing though to demolish the North Monomy shoals and bars...filling in... and South Beach and Mononomy become one again as they were 100 years ago. According to my research this cycle is a 150 year cycle... and we are in year 75 right now. Since the southway will have been closed for years by that time , there will be no break though at the southway... the sand would just continue south from the Nauset sand bar AND Pleasant bay... with two flows...one down the outside of south beach toward the tip and "beyond'... and the inner flow... effected more by the tides... moving in and out of Pleasant bay down the west side of North and South Monomoy (being one by that time).... check the history maps and read some Geology on the area... Occational breakthoughs at south monomoy will occur but that will not effect the greater long term forces of that southerly flow...not to mention the west east flow of sand along the beaches of Harwich, Dennis, and beyond... all culminating at Monomoy. The sand dunes that created P-Town and the outer lands.... move to the north instead of south at Head of the Meadows... the line of demarcation is around there... that is what formed the P-Town bulge, since the only "real" hard geology from the ice age is High head... part of the glacial moraine...from high head (from Pilgrim lake) to the north is all sand dunes. Same with Sandy neck as well as Brewster flats, created by the west east flow down the west side of Cape Cod Bay..... and same with Billingsgate Island in Wellfleet,,, that is a north to south sand flow.

Last edited by striblue; 02-05-2005 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:51 AM

No looking so good for boaters

Hey guys,

Just got back from the refuge over look at hightide. Pretty good set of waves coming through the new wash over, even with 15kt NE winds. The light was good looking south from the overlook at the refuge, and the water looking south from the southbeach drop off was pretty tanish with sand. No distinct channel showing at all heading south. Word is most of that channel collapsed westward filling most of it.

Looking at the tip of South Beach, there was water between the SB and South Monomoy, but there was a distinct line of small white caps showing. So, that means there is more sand than water at the entrance for now. The tip of SB is quite flat also not much showing at high tide. The rumor around town is there is only about 6 ft between SB and SM at low tide. I will try to get back to the refuge this afternoon at low and try get look at it.

Some are saying the water flow coming from the wash has taken some of the dune at North Monomoy tip and filled in the channel between NM and Morris island, so that may be a bit hairy getting through. Last year at low it was a "go really really fast and don't look down" situation to get through. Will have to sniff our way through that tomorrow also.

I am hoping to get out tomorrow am with the refuge manager, but it all depends on wether the ramp is clear of ice. There is a channel free of ice going out of Stage Harbor, so now it is all up to the ramp. I will post as soon as we get out.

Capt Keith
Old 02-05-2005, 02:18 PM

3:00 pm Low tide report

Well, I just got sort of a birds eye look at the end of SB and South Monomoy. It is just a narrow and shallow technicallity stopping them from being call "connected".

From a top the building looking down it appears to be about as wide as a boat. And the reports are it is only 1 foot deep, which would appear right, since just north of the tip looks pretty much dry in what use to be the channel.

If I have the name right, the area you call the "Mecca" in front of the light house is also a narrow- shallow technicallity of being connected. I would guess one wide gate in knee high water and you are there, or if you maybe walk a bit down south beach and then cross you may only get wet up to your ankles.

Some clammers were out there working today (Southway) and also scouting, but no one south of the high bank on east side of NM. Also a bit more water showing at low tide on the clam flat side of the washover, so obviously it is starting to dredge the area a bit more than just a few days ago.

Still hoping to get out tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

Capt Keith
Old 02-05-2005, 05:51 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thanks Keith!

Big tides next week; mother nature's landscaping crew is going to do some double time I would guess.

If the two connect that's going to be reason enough for me to buy something with a motor on the back and a hull to skip around on. Judging by what I have seen in migratory behavior since 1995 without the southway the fish are going to be taking much different routes. As water temps will be affected, spring / summer / fall behavior will be dramatically different as well. Depending on how the new break pans out, the ocean water influences that drive a lot of behavior in the refuge waters will be directed differently and access will be difficult on the far side of the far side on foot.

Keith, is it too early to petition for a new drop-off point on the other side of the new 'break'?
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 02-05-2005, 07:03 PM
President of CAC

If we get access to the flat at the light house..out toward the main channel...it will be smack in front of the of fish moving out at the ebb...not to mention the ocean breaker beach out in front... it may be a great new destination...
Old 02-05-2005, 07:34 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Recon sortie...

What with the BIG noon-ish HIGH TIDE on Wednesday...
Lucy and I are going to take a walk out there with a camera and GPS...
Good therapy for both of us!
Philm at eleven...

Even on a good day...
There isn't much distance between South Beach and the Monomoyz!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SouthBeachTip.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	4446  
Old 02-05-2005, 09:57 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

If it all goes bad...

I've still got my mystery seafood bar where squid chasing cows dine with their phriendz!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MysteryBar.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	4447  
Old 02-06-2005, 08:53 AM

SB and SM join

Penguin,

It appears looking at your aerial of the SB tip, and what little channel there was last year, that the small sand bar at the enterance fused with the tip of SB and help put the final dam in place to stop the water flow at low tide between SB and SM. We were afraid it would happen at the end of last summer, but we kept the SW wind longer into the fall to keep it open.

You might as well start sanding the paint of the prop on the "SATURDAY". Why let Mother Nature have the honor? She is screwing up the fishing.

Juro are interested in hiring a Captain for that new craft? I know one with a lot of experience around Monomoy.

Capt Keith
Old 02-06-2005, 04:23 PM
Middle Aged Member

It was not bad in South Dennis when I left this morning but when I got to the light it was blowing pretty good out of the NNE. The end of Nauset looks vunerable and all of South Beach where the dunes arn't built up looks subject to breakthru's, if we get another northeaster. The thought of a 2 mile walk into the wind to get back put me back into the truck and down to the refuge for a looksee. A lot of thin spots along SB through the compressed view of the binoculars.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:00 AM
LT 20

Mistery view's

Can anyone tell me what sand bar is in Penguin's Mistery view photo's. I can't get my orientation. Can't tell where the pic's where taken.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:13 AM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Mystery bar...

Looks like somewhere in Pleasant Bay to me, but I'm not sure exacly where..
Doc Shep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.