Breathable Waders - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-03-2005, 12:50 PM

Breathable Waders

I am looking to purchase a new pair of breathable waders this season. With so many new brands and models on the market I don't know where to begin. Obviously my budget has a limit, but there is no substitute for quality. Can anyone recommend a particular brand/model? I do most of my fishing for Atlantic Salmon on Scottish waters such as the Spey, Avon, Dee, Ness etc.
Boerie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2005, 01:20 PM

Lightbulb Review of waders

Haven't read it, but seems to cover the basics.

//www.bigskyfishing.com/ Gear-Technique/fly_fish_gear/fly_fish_waders.htm]http://www.big skyfishing.com/Gear-Technique/fly_fish_gear/fly_fish_ waders.

I use Wardells and love 'em. (no longer in business)

IMHO, the gude weights DO last longer than regular. Then again, I'm REALLY tough on my stuff, bacon grease, bug dope, sliding down to a lie on my but and usually only wash them properly 5 or 6 times per year.

Friends found the double knee on the Orvis Guide weight to be a perfect place to snag a branch or barbed wire.

To keep my neoprene feet longer, I wear a thin neoprene sock over them, inside my wading boots. (done this for 4 years now and no leaks yet).

Last edited by Eddie; 02-04-2005 at 06:37 AM.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:46 PM
Junkyard Spey

My advice may not apply as you are in the UK, however during steelhead season I have a lot of anglers come thru my shop. They come right from the river and are suited up. A great many of these guys are trout guides and they pretty much live in their waders. Also they can get about whatever brand they want through "pro discounts". I have paid a great deal of attention to what waders these guys wear and more of them are wearing Dan Bailey Lightweights then any other brand. If they are avaiable over there in your country you should give them a serious look.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:35 PM

quality pays for its self many times over and I think that Sims are far and away the best on the market. I think that most guides fish in them, and for a reason. Good to hear that the Dan Bailys are popular too.
If you do a search on this web site, there are many posts covering breathable waders.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:30 PM
bluegillbob

Smile

Bass Pro Shops makes all kinds of breathable waders. I own a pair, and wear the wading boots too! Mine are durable, comfortable, and very breathable. Check them out online, or send away for a catalog.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:39 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Chris -

Do you know the policy on direct links to non-sponsors? It's in the membership agreement.

We'll be waiting for your email or edit, thanks. We don't ask for much around here but we do require no links to non-sponsors unless the intent is to recruit them as sponsors themselves.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 02-04-2005, 07:20 AM

Location: River Spey, Scotland. River Avon, Scotland. Umzimkulu River, South Africa.
Send a message via MSN to marcusjanssen
Waders

Thanks everyone, I'll be sure to check out the websites. I was already thinking about Simms Waders, as I know a few folk who rate them.

Tight lines

Marcus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.