Russia's Kola Peninsula - Page 3 - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-25-2005, 05:53 AM

Anne,

www.kharlovka.com - take a look at the reports on the kharlovka and rynda - there's plenty to dream about there! The owner, Peter Power, also runs a youth scheme to give people under 35 the opportunity to enjoy these amazing waters at a preferential rate based on age. Certainly not something that I've heard of from the main sporting agencies such as Frontiers & Roxtons.

cheers

lawrence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2005, 06:37 AM

First time on the Kola

Hi Marcus, It will be my first time on the Kola, i am looking forward to seeing the place almost as much as the fishing..

I also hope to get a go at the Arctic char and maybe sea trout in the estuaries too.- Not to mention some great brown trout fishing. I wish I was going for a month..
Old 07-26-2005, 08:24 PM

Not long until we go to Rynda now so lets get this thread going again as its a great way of passing time at work whilst counting down the days. More excited about going this time than last year as I know what a great time I am in for.

Dave
Old 07-27-2005, 09:58 AM

That's a good idea Wilbert. Anyone out there got ideas on the best fly patterns at the moment.

All the best
Old 07-28-2005, 02:38 PM

Location: River Spey, Scotland. River Avon, Scotland. Umzimkulu River, South Africa.
Send a message via MSN to marcusjanssen
Good call... only two weeks to go... can't wait. Anyone have any useful last minute tips or hints. I have been tying flies furiously- has anyone heard what's working well? Anyone else fishing week 33 on the Rynda?
Old 07-29-2005, 08:10 PM

Just read the latest report from Rynda and it looks like the recent rain has lifted the river approx 6" and they have forcast good water levels for the comming weeks. I have tied enough flies for everyone at the camp but dont want to leave any at home just incase they prove to be the killing pattern. Just under 3 weeks now until I set off and I feel like a kid waiting for christmas only this time I can't have a rummage round mum and dads bedroom to see what I have got. Looking forward to testing the drag of my new reel and possibly beating my PB.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:19 PM

Location: River Spey, Scotland. River Avon, Scotland. Umzimkulu River, South Africa.
Question Kharlovka vs Rynda

I have just read the most recent Kharlovka report, and I see that they've got some big water at the moment due to heavy rain this week. For those of you who know the rivers, what does that mean for the Rynda? How quickly does it rise and drop during a spate? If they have big water now, how long will that last? And also, does it become peaty/dark/unfishable in high water/during a spate?

Marcus
Old 07-31-2005, 09:23 PM

I don't think that Rynda gets too dirty when the water rises as there are lots of lakes in the system that allow any sediment to settle. In last years reports they had problems with the alge during the first lift of water at the end of August. Last year was a one off freak with the weather ( hopefully ) so I dont think there will be as much alge growth this year. There is a wide veriaty of pools on Rynda so if the river is high or low there will be plenty of pools that will fish well. I think that we may be lucky and arrive to perfect water and fishing conditions. Fingers crossed.

Marcus remember to leave some beers and fish for us and hopefully we will cross paths at Murmansk airport, its not very big and I will be at the bar.

Dave.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:46 AM

Location: luhe,baltic-sea,gaula/Norway, los roques/Venezuela,Aruba
Back in the game,baby!

Hi guys,

5 days left... I hear the conditions seem to be better than last year. Has anyone lost rods on the flight from Murmansk to Stockholm? Eger has lost 3 rods on the way home,last year.

bone
Old 08-01-2005, 01:45 PM

Bone, (Is it Sven?) I know two chaps this year had all their gear go missing from Stockholm to Murmansk... not sure when they got it back?! Other than that I haven't heard of any other mishaps luggage wise. Just bought a new rod, so would be very annoyed if it went walking! See you at Murmansk on the 14th?
Old 08-01-2005, 03:05 PM

BA missplaced my rods on the way back from Stockholm last year. It took 3 weeks to get them back because I was away on a family holiday in Scotland but this stopped me from doing any more salmon fishing. I was told by the wife that I was not doing any more salmon fishing whislt on holiday so I took a trout rod and went fishing with my daughter which was good as she managed 3 trout on fly in 1 hr.
Lets hope nothing goes astray this year. I know there are plenty of good quality rods and reels at the camp (probably better than mine) but there is nothing like catching fish on your own gear.

Marcus you had better not still be in Murmansk on the 14th!!! Its a Sunday.

Last edited by wilbert; 08-01-2005 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:11 PM

Newsflash from Kharlovka - Water dropping and clearing, 43 fish reported in the first day and half of fishing, 6 of these were over 20lbs. Things are looking good. Lets hope Rynda is also producing the goods.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:01 AM

Location: luhe,baltic-sea,gaula/Norway, los roques/Venezuela,Aruba
Good news!

The latest news sounds good. Don't forget your Conehead-Frances (small-medium sized/all colours)!

As my friends rod-cases have been broken up last season, you should think about a special insurance( i don't trust the guys on the airport in Murmansk).

Hi Marcus, we should meet at the Bar on the 13th!

bone/Sven
Old 08-02-2005, 10:48 AM

I envy you guys! Please take lot's of pictures.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:36 PM

With regards to special insurance, can anyone make any recommendations. I presume that regular travel insurance won't cover a trip into the Arctic circle by chopper etc etc. I'm not at all worried about my own wellbeing, it's my rods and gear I'm concerned about!!!

Sven- see you at the bar on the 13th in Murmansk! (I'm the one with blonde scruffy hair!)

Dave- see you there on the 20th? (I've probably got my dates wrong again!)

Marcus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.