Russia's Kola Peninsula - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-04-2005, 03:55 AM

hi Sven,

Hope life is treating you well! Interesting to hear about Aruba....didn't know it had good bone flats. Now Los Roques....lucky you! Be sure to send my best to Walter

Theres a few of us off to fish middle blackhall on the Dee in march - very much looking forward to it. As per the dee post on here, things are looking good and there should be a fair flow of springers coming through by then.

Let us know how you get on in Los Roques, and send my best to Eger.

Cheers

Lawrence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2005, 04:18 AM

Sven I am going upto the Dee in March for 4 days with Lawrence, Phillip,Rob M,Rob B and Rhodri who I met at Rynda last year. I will not be fishing on my own river (Ribble) until May as the spring run is very small and then most of my effort will be for the sea trout until July/August. I must have a go at bone fishing soon as it looks very exciting and you get to see your backing with every fish, I have forgoton what colour my backing is as the last time I saw it was when I put it on the reel. Maybee I will see it again on the Dee or Rynda. Hope you make it to Los Roques with Eger as it is a top destination. Tight Lines

Dave.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:17 AM

Location: River Spey, Scotland. River Avon, Scotland. Umzimkulu River, South Africa.
Send a message via MSN to marcusjanssen
Russian Visas

To all you Rynda boys:

When do you have to sort your visa out by? As you know, I'm fishing Rynda in week 33- August 13 - August 20. Also, how do you go about doing it?

Marcus
Old 02-04-2005, 09:09 AM

Location: luhe,baltic-sea,gaula/Norway, los roques/Venezuela,Aruba
Hi Marcus,

i guess Peter or Ruth are going to contact you in the next weeks.

Hi Lawrence,

you are absolutely right. There are not many flats on aruba, but as it was my 9th vacation on the island, i know every inch of them...

Dave,

good luck on the Dee. If you ever plan to visit Los Roques mail me, i can give some contacts. Los Roques can be very cheap, if you know where to go...

Sven
Old 02-04-2005, 11:07 AM

Marcus to apply for your visa you need to pay for your holiday in full and you can only apply for your visa 12 weeks or so before your trip (Russian rules). Last year they took care of everything for me but this year is a little different as you have to sort out your own visa. There is section about this on their website under travell I think. Have you booked flights to Stockholm and back? I had real problems booking the cheep flights and throgh frustration I paid £40 extra to fly with BA which is not a bad thing. It cost me £170 return from Manchester via Heathrow and they are good flight times. Take plenty of Krona to Stockholm as its Approx £6 for a pint but the food is reasonably priced. I dont want to wish my life away but I wish it was August and I was there as its going to be a long 6 months before I get there.

Dave.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:13 AM

Location: River Spey, Scotland. River Avon, Scotland. Umzimkulu River, South Africa.
visa

Dave and Sven,

Thanks for the info about visas. I have booked my flight to Stockholm, and I think my brother and I were really lucky, we got very reasonably priced tickets through BA. All that's left for me to sort out is my visa, and then I'm all set! As you say, the following 6 months are going to be long. I've wanted to fish the Kola for a long time now, and since I heard that I'd got a place on the ASR programme, I've been battling to concentrate on anything that isn't fishing! Fortunately, our season opens on my home river soon, so at least that'll keep me occupied till August!

Sven, Dave and Lawrence, which UK rivers do you fish, and where about on the Dee do you fish? (I'm pretty sure one of you has mentioned the Dee?) We've been trying to get a week on Park for several years now, since my dad fished it as a guest a few years ago, and had some of the best salmon fishing he's ever had in the UK. Do any of you fish the Spey? And if so, on what beats. I do most of my fishing on the Spey, so know it relatively well.

Marcus
Old 02-06-2005, 11:27 AM

Marcus I do most of my fishing on the Ribble and Hodder and sometimes fish the Lune. I have fished the Spey a few times, mainly the Aviemore town water when I have been up on holiday and have fished at Grantown on the upper Castle Grant beat once. Have also fished Tay, Tummel, Deveron, Earn, Annon and Dee. I fished the Dee for the first time last year in Sept on the Woodend beat, its very nice water and is quite a long beat for 2 rods and is not too expensive. This March we are fishing the Middle Blackhall and Commonty beats for 4 days and again the price is ok. Check fishdee.co.uk for booking availability but I think Park is dead mans shoes. Going to Russia last year has opend my eyes and wallet to new rivers. I had not had the oppertunity or motivation to travel before but now like the idea of fishing new rivers, just got to do plenty of overtime to pay for it all.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:17 AM

marcus

i've fished quite a few of the scottish rivers, inc the upper spey for sea trout (superb), the tay, tweed (always have a few days on the upper tweed in november to close the season off) and beauly amongst others.

Your man for advise though, is 'willie gunn', who I believe is a gillie on Wester Elchies on the spey. anything he doesn't know about scottish salmon fishing probably isn't worth knowing, esp about rivers like the spey and deveron.

on the dee, i've fished middle blackhall & borrowston. middle blackhall i love, borrowston i don't - and that's not because the fishing isn't great there! plus its one of the most expensive beats on fishdee, and it doesn't warrant the price tag.

i also spend a good amount of time on the towy in wales, mainly for the sea trout, but managed a couple of salmon there last season as well.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:25 AM

I'm fishing Kharlovka starting 30th July..

Hi Guys, I'm also on the ASR youth programme this year, but on Kharlovka, starting 30th July- I'll let you know the latest flies and tactics after I get back, although I only have one day between getting back from Stockholm and leaving for a week at Carron/ Laggan on the Spey. Boy am I looking forward to August!
Old 02-21-2005, 10:16 AM

Russia!!!

Hi Highwealdwoodsm!
Great to hear from another fellow ASR applicant. Have you fished Kola before? Or is this your first time?

Marcus
Old 02-22-2005, 07:51 AM

Hi Gents,

I'd also advise to take small doubles and plastic tubes to Rynda as well as bombers in brown and green colours. Make sure you have pleanty of backing just incase you hook one of the monsters i saw in Rynda falls.

Hope you are keeping well Sven, give my regards to your dad and Eger.

Dave and lawrence- Not long now until the Dee!!

All the best,

Rhodri
Old 02-23-2005, 07:57 AM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: York-Dartmouth-St-Jean-Cap-Chat-Madeleine-Pabos-Grande-Rivière
Morning Anglers!

What is the average fish size in Russia ?
Is there a limit of catch /day?

Merci!!

A.....
Old 02-23-2005, 10:42 AM

Kola-

Good day,
This will be my first trip to Kola, so I can not comment on the average size of fish. I have heard that the bigger fish run later on in the season, and fish over 20lbs are not uncommon. From what I have read, salmon over 30lbs are also not unheard of. With regards to maximum daily bag limits, I believe that all Kola rivers practice a catch and release policy, which from what I can gather is a Russian policy practised on all of their salmon rivers? I'm sure Sven, Dave, Lawrence and Rhodri will be able to share some of their knowledge and experience of the Kola with you.
Tight Lines
Marcus
Old 02-23-2005, 11:04 AM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Ann
On the Rynda, Kharlovka and East Litza (northern Kola) all fishing is catch and release for Salar. There is no daily limit. Fish generally are large. On one of the weeks I was there, my largest fish was only 27lbs, there were a couple of fish over 30 caught, but the largest of the week was 44 lbs. That fish caught on a size 10 fly waked on the surface. Fish of 20 lbs are relatively common, fish over 30 are more rare, of course, but expected. Fish over 40 are there.
Bill

Last edited by wrke; 02-23-2005 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:06 AM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: York-Dartmouth-St-Jean-Cap-Chat-Madeleine-Pabos-Grande-Rivière
Merci!

Thanks guys....
All these waters around the world are so interesting to read about...

I can imagine, fishing them!!

Keep chatting, I'm Reading & Dreaming

Ann

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.