The Scottish Dee opened today. - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-02-2005, 02:41 PM

Location: Present: Toronto to Inverness. Future: Kamchatka to Kola.
Slangevar

Slangevar Malcolm.
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2005, 09:08 PM

Thumbs down Pot bellied pig

Pot bellied pig Malcolm there are trends and then there is tradition. You off all people I find this hard to believe. To see the proud Scotsman that I met fall to such depths makes my heart ache. The next thing we know you will be telling us that you are drinking Johnny Wallker Red or some such. I assume that in the near future we will see some posting of a grand Dee fish that was grassed on a Gordon or Akroyd or at least a blue charm.
With hopes for redemption ; Ramsay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2005, 03:27 AM

Ramsay,
I see where I went wrong yesterday, I fished Cairnton without a Blue Charm in my box, there was a fine collection in the rod room.Arthur Wood would recognise the room if he returned today, all his line winding machinery is still attached to the walls.

I came across this story from writer and journalist Bruce Sandison

One of the most famous angling developments in the middle years of the last century was that of greased line fly fishing for salmon, invented on the River Dee at Cairnton by legendary Arthur Wood. Wood claimed great success fishing for salmon in low water conditions using a line which floated on the surface of the water, rather than using a sinking line below the surface. His most successful pattern of salmon fly, he alleged, was a the Blue Charm, and every angling magazine in Britain was full of the story.

However, Jimmy Ross a gillie at Rothes told me a different story. As a young man, Jimmy used to gillie at Aboyne on the Dee and knew Arthur Wood’s gillie. In the pub one night, Jimmy plied his colleague with drams and quizzed him about “all these fish supposedly being killed on a wee Blue Charm fished on a floating line?’ “Don’t you believe it!” replied Wood’s gillie. “It’s a great big Jock Scott on a sinking line doing all the damage with — and everybody for miles around lashing away with wee Blue Charms catching nothing!”

Just who was telling the truth?

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 03-26-2005, 08:21 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: York-Dartmouth-St-Jean-Cap-Chat-Madeleine-Pabos-Grande-Rivière
Hi,
Any fresh news from Scotland?? How are the runs? The fishing??

Gees, where's eveyone!! Fishing!???

Happy Easter!

A....

Last edited by QuebecSporting; 03-26-2005 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:04 AM

Last week was a wash out on the Dee and Spey when the snow decided to melt. The Spey ran at +5ft from Wednesday to Saturday.
This week has been great on the Spey, I had 4 to my own rod from various beats.
Wester Elchies,possibly,Ashley Coopers favourite beat averaged a fish a day, Arndily had over 20. I finished the week on Delfur, arguably the best beat on the Spey and saw 2 fish landed, the first 17lbs and the second 20. The 3 winter fish are making an early return this year.
The Dee has been steady I am unsure of details as I'm not there till the first week in April

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 03-27-2005, 07:14 PM

My first springer from The River Dee, caught on the 18th of March at Grey Mare with 5'3" on the gauge. The springer on the lowest picture is from The Roe Pot caught on Tuesday this week.

After been 2 weeks on the Deeside I have to admit that it's a beautifull place to be. I hope to go back again next year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	springers.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	4632  

Last edited by McIntyre; 03-27-2005 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:44 PM

Nice fish, two of my favourite pools, though I've never managed a fresh fish from the Grey Mare.

which side of the Roe Pot were you? Inchmarlo or Little Blackhall?

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 03-28-2005, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Gunn
Nice fish, two of my favourite pools, though I've never managed a fresh fish from the Grey Mare.

which side of the Roe Pot were you? Inchmarlo or Little Blackhall?
Little Blackhall, at the top of the pool. We also fished The Waterside and Ferrar for 4 days, a very nice beat on the Upper Dee. Caught one there too, but no picture.

Still over 2 months until the season starts in Norway

Last edited by McIntyre; 03-28-2005 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:34 PM

Well done McIntyre Could you tell us what the killer flies were? Not pot bellied pigs I hope
Ramsay
Old 03-29-2005, 04:08 AM

I got two of them on a Silver Willie tube fly
Tag: Oval silver tinsel
Tail: Orange SLF hanks
Body: Silver holo tinsel
Rib: Oval silver tinsel
Front hackle: Black hen
Wing: Orange fox, yellow fox, yellow flash and black fox. The first section should reach to the tail and the others a little longer each.
The other one took a Silver Shadow tube fly

Body: Silver mini flatbraid
Rib: Oval tinsel
Fronthackel: Black hen
Wing: White fox, pearl flash and black fox. The wing should be dressed like a sunray shadow.

Last edited by McIntyre; 03-29-2005 at 04:09 AM.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Gunn
This week has been great on the Spey, I had 4 to my own rod from various beats.
Wester Elchies,possibly,Ashley Coopers favourite beat averaged a fish a day, Arndily had over 20. I finished the week on Delfur, arguably the best beat on the Spey and saw 2 fish landed, the first 17lbs and the second 20. The 3 winter fish are making an early return this year.
Willie Gunn,

Crikey, it's all all looking pretty good, don't forget to let some through to Tulchan B for this Thursday, Friday & Saturday, I see Craigellachie has had 5 for the last 2 days! Which day are you on Tulchan C?? We may meet at the beat march and swap some flies although mine surely won't come up to those Pot Bellied Pigs!
Tight lines any way, we will be just enjoying the experience, fish will be a bonus.

Mike
Old 03-29-2005, 02:14 PM

Tulchan D on Friday, Delfur on Thursday and Saturday. Don't tell me about Craigellechie, I was offered a rod on there today, turned it down and they had three 2 sealiced. I fished on Orton and never saw a fin, well I landed a 2 lb brown trout, which took me to the backing. Well it was fould hooked in its tail.

Enjoy your days.

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 04-02-2005, 04:03 PM

Not a bad week 1 from Craigellachie on Wednesday, and one from Tulchan D on Friday. Delfur had 3 when I was there but nothing personally.

Graham Ritchie has a good story to tell from Delfur today, his brother Michael saved us blanking with his first fish of 2005.

How was your week:?

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 04-04-2005, 12:02 PM

Willie Gunn,

Wonderful 3 days on Tulchan B with Alan (thanks for the good advice on his flowers!) what a lovely beat, where else would you want to be on a spring day in Speyside.

1 from Broom Pool on Thursday plus a few all too brief encounters in Stones, Friday blank, 1 Saturday from the Lodge Stream in bright sunshine, 16 degrees C, shirtsleeves at 2pm plus 3 more brief encounters in George and Boat Pool.

Fish were running through most days and we (2 rods) had the beat all to ourselves Thursday and Saturday, but it was tough to rendezvous with the silver tourists and keep them on!

Sorry you initially missed out at Craigellachie, spoke to Peter on Saturday and things had slowed up from the great start to the week. I will be there 20th June for the week hoping to catch the tail of the springers or the start of the grilse.

Alan retires from Tulchan this year, I got the distinct impression talking to him that he would love to carry on till he drops, he will be a great miss next year, some character!

Mike
Old 04-11-2005, 05:38 AM

Location: River Ness, River Conon, River Dee, Kyle of Sutherland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Salmon
Pot bellied pig Malcolm there are trends and then there is tradition. I assume that in the near future we will see some posting of a grand Dee fish that was grassed on a Gordon or Akroyd or at least a blue charm.
With hopes for redemption ; Ramsay
Ramsey

Just back from a week on the Dee (Birse). Started off the week fishing large PBP's, to no avail.

It wasn't until a size 10 munro killer was put on that the action started. 3 fish, one after the other were taken, with the total tally for the week reaching 6 with as many lost. All were caught on the munro killer, fished on a floating line with a 5ft sink tip.

Having been fishing mainly pbp's and other shrimp patterns for the last couple of years, it was an eye opener to see such a lightly dressed "wee flee" doing such damage.

Gordon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.