Marquis Salmon 1 - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2005, 07:07 PM

Marquis Salmon 1

I have a Hardy Marquis Salmon 1 reel and am considering utilizing both pawls at the same time to hopefully increase the drag resistance.Has anyone tried this and does it create a noticable difference?Would it cause any undo wear on the drag parts?----Thanks--Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2005, 02:25 AM

These reels don't offer a lot of drag. You just need to add a little pressure with your fingertips or palm to add drag. I much prefer this to a drag with a lot of resistance.

Engaging both pawls will increase your drag some, but don't expect too much additional resistance. Since you have twice as many "clicks" per revolution of your spool from having two pawls engaged instead of one, I'd expect that the components will wear faster. However, this is not an uncommon practice and I've never heard of any problems with drag parts wearing faster so I'd have to believe any increase in wear is negligible. Pawls are readily available and easily replaced if needed, but the gear requires professional servicing.

You could also have a weak spring causing your low drag. These are also readily available and easy to replace. In the US, contact Bill Archuleta in Grants Pass, Oregon for parts and service. He's the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.