FRASER RIVER: STEELHEAD "BY-CATCH" - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2005, 01:45 PM

FRASER RIVER: STEELHEAD "BY-CATCH"

A response from the DFO, three months after the fact but at least a response:

Dear Sir.

The Minister has asked me to respond to your letter of October 19, 2004, regarding Interior Fraser River steelhead.

In advance of the fishing season, Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) worked with the Province of British Columbia (BC) on the management of south coast chum fisheries in an effort to address conservation concerns for steelhead. It was agreed that fisheries management decisions would be based upon a steelhead harvest model developed by the province, rather than results of the Albion test fishery. It was also agreed that fishing mortality of steelhead would be limited to recent levels of 15% or less.

Besides the harvest rate restriction, a number of measures have been put in place in southern BC gillnet fisheries to minimize the impact on Interior Fraser steelhead. These include delayed openings, gear restrictions (half net lengths), daylight-only fishing, and short net sets (30 minutes maximum). As well, all steelhead that are caught live must be returned to the water, and the use of onboard revival tanks is required to improve post-release survival.

The commercial chum fisheries were developed to stay within the agreed exploitation rate ceiling of 15%. The pre-season harvest model allowed for three 10-hour openings of the chum fishery in the lower Fraser River, but there were only two commercial chum openings.

As well, British Columbia allowed recreational fishing to harvest interior steelhead in-river when in-season estimates indicated there was sufficient abundance.

I appreciate and share your concern for the protection of steelhead. I also recognize the importance of the recreational fishery to the economy of British Columbia. The measures that were introduced in the commercial chum fishery were designed to minimize impacts on steelhead. As agreed prior to the season, departmental staff and provincial staff will meet to review the management approach in 2004 in order to identify successes and areas for improvement.

Thank you for providing me your views.

Sincerely,

Original signed by:

Kevin Stringer

Director General

Resource Management

Fisheries and Aquaculture Management
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2005, 02:32 PM
Jolly Buddha

“sufficient abundance”

Where have I heard this before?

THE NEWER CHIEF of E.P.

Real Steelhead Don't Eat Pellets!!
Old 02-01-2005, 04:09 PM
Pullin' Thread

Don't you just love spin by those in charge of protecting the resource.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:02 AM
just say no to bait

As I recall there were no catch monitors assigned for that fishery. Other than anecdotal evidence, there would be no data on by catch. One would have to put alot of faith in the catch models.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.