Bonaire Bonefish Trip - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-31-2005, 06:19 PM
#1 Flyfisher

Bonaire Bonefish Trip

Hi,

Here is a short report of our 8 days fishing at Bonaire.
We, 4 flyfisherman from the Netherlands, arrived on 28 janaury very early in the morning at Bonaire Flamingo airport. For three of us it was our second trip, feb 2004 we did the same. With the hired double pickup we first visited our appartment it was excelent, 2 sleepingrooms and on each room a shower, airco and a clean citchen (Lima Apartments) So, what else could we do at 06:00 AM..? exactly go fishing...

A little bit cloudy, good temperature, and no wind, the water looked like a mirror and that first day we saw a lot of tailing bonefish. Of course we had serveral Bones on Crazy Charlies, Bonefish Bitters en other shrimp imitations and man oh man, believe me, with some runs I could see the blinking core of my spool trough the backing !!!!
No wind means a lot of small black biting flies and within no time we were covered with red points on our skin...and later we scratched and scratched and scratched..

Back from a long run..

Bonefish caught on a Bonefish Bitter

Ready for release

Last year we fished a few times at the Saltplates and badly enough, this year we 've seen everywhere:

NO TRESPASSING HUNTING OR FISHING
VIOLATERS PROSECUTED UNDER PENALTY OF LAW

I'ts clear, we may not fish there, so forget the Salplates !!

But there are other places like Lagoen, Lac Cai, or Sorobon and above the seagrass we saw several tailing Bonefish.

Bonefish on Crazy Charlie

Small Lagoen Bone on Bonefish Bitter

Or you can fish the Mangroves ....

Mangrove Me.......fresh meat for Mosquito's

Later that week we had more wind, but everyday we took some Bones or other species like Barracuda, Snappers, Blue Runner, Coney, and one Permit,

Permit from Lagoen.

Those day's are alway's too short but we had a great time and guess what, for one of us it was his first trip and he caught the biggest of all ...more than 30 Inches !

Bonaire has it all, nice weather, beautifull fish and friendly people.
Damned ... why do'nt they open the Salplates

But as I told there are other good places.
Get one of the guides and you will catch fish.....

Best regards,

Marco Rudolph

Last edited by ruisvoorn; 02-01-2005 at 05:08 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2005, 11:09 AM

Nice report Marco, and great pics. BTW, where is Bonaire?
Old 02-01-2005, 11:33 AM
#1 Flyfisher

Bonaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt dog
Nice report Marco, and great pics. BTW, where is Bonaire?
Thanks salt dog, Bonaire is a small island in the Carribean. It;s one of the three ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire an Curacao).The island is about 40 x12 km. The maincity is Kralendijk, it is a well known place for scaba diving. Language: Papiamento, Dutch, and English.

Best regards,

Marco Rudolph
Old 02-01-2005, 11:43 AM

Thumbs up

Great shots Marco! Thanks, I hope I can fish there someday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.