TFO Rods - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-30-2005, 09:04 PM
I remember sometimes...,

TFO Rods

I recently bought a 9' 4wt TFO (new) for $150.00 from a local fly shop. It will be one of my "back up rods". I am quite impressed with it and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the TFO 11 wt rods?
Tight lines,
Rooster
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2005, 11:18 PM
CantAnchorUs

If you like the Pro series wait till you try the TiCr Lefty Signature series, the TiCrX only goes up to a 9 wt but it is more like a 10. I`ll have a new one by spring when I want to throw the big stuff, that`ll be my 3rd TFO.
Slinger
Old 01-30-2005, 11:48 PM

TFO series 1

Bought a series one 8 weight for Coho season, caught more Chinook than Coho but the rod handled fish into the mid forties. I was impressed enough to buy two TICRx rods a 6 and an 8 weight plus a nine weight two hander. Its nice to be able to buy rods that perform with the big guys but dont break the bank.

Ian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2005, 12:27 AM
bluegillbob

Smile

I haven't cast a TFO yet, but I do have the catalog. I intend on casting them this year. I'm looking for an 8wt or a 10 wt.

I hear nothing but "happy talk" about them.

The TiCr and TiCrX sound like my kinda rods!

How do the TFO's do against the other rods?
Old 01-31-2005, 01:56 PM
whatchuDewinWitatBuggywip

Send a message via AIM to TheSeph
Arrow TFOooOOOOooOOmazing

For the money they are the BEST i know of.
The Professional Series ~$150 depending on weight are excellent and affordable. My buddy has an 8 weight that is very nice and ive cast the 6 and 10 but not an 11.

has anyone had a warranty claim with these guys yet? Im wondering how smoothly that end of their game runs
Old 01-31-2005, 05:36 PM

TFO replacement

A friend of mine through his own stupidity broke his 7 weight series one while landing a Coho last October. We went off to the takcle store paid the $25 shipping and handling fee plus taxes (have to pay that here in Canada) and left the store with a new rod. We were back fishing in under an hour.
The tackle store told us if they have it in stock they exchange it right away if it is not in stock it could take up to 10 working days.

Ian
Old 02-01-2005, 07:26 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 2HandTheSalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster
I recently bought a 9' 4wt TFO (new) for $150.00 from a local fly shop. It will be one of my "back up rods". I am quite impressed with it and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the TFO 11 wt rods?
Tight lines,
Rooster
Rooster, 11-weight TFO's are only available in Canada. In the US, we must make do with just 10 & 12-weights.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:52 PM
bluegillbob

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2HandTheSalt
Rooster, 11-weight TFO's are only available in Canada. In the US, we must make do with just 10 & 12-weights.
I wonder why 11wt TFO's are only sold in Canada. Then again, I've never seen 11wt flyline here in the states.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:59 PM
I remember sometimes...,

Thanks for the info. I wonder if any of our Canadian buddies have played with the 11 wt?
Anyone used the 12 weights?
I know some guys who brought some of the early model TFO 10 wts to the baja and used them for dorado and some smaller tunas. They had some breakage problems, but, from what I heard they should have been using heavier rods. TFO took care of them on the returns and I understand the new 10wt has a thicker butt section.
Any thoughts on the 12 wts?
Can't wait for May!
Rooster
Old 02-08-2005, 09:31 AM

TFO

Haven't casted the 11 wt, but have casted the series 1, ticr, and ticrx. They cast really well, and have a great warranty.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:18 AM

Haven't seen the 11's or 12s but have cast the 8,9,10 TiCr. I like the way they cast but can't get over the diameter of the butt sections. The 9wt butt section looked like it belonged on a 12wt to me.

If this doesn't bother you it might be a good pickup. I think they are 4pc also which is nice.

Cast the T&T Horizon, Sage Xi2 and TiCR next to one another next time you go to a fly show. Pretty incredible performance for the $$.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:03 AM

reels for tfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayside
Bought a series one 8 weight for Coho season, caught more Chinook than Coho but the rod handled fish into the mid forties. I was impressed enough to buy two TICRx rods a 6 and an 8 weight plus a nine weight two hander. Its nice to be able to buy rods that perform with the big guys but dont break the bank.

Ian
hey, i agree entirely about the tfos...they're the best bang for the buck! i recently purchased a ticrx in an 8 wt. and have been searching for a good but not overpriced reel to compliment it...any thoughts??
Old 02-10-2005, 08:27 PM

SA System II Large Arbour

Matched my 8 Wt ticrx with the system II LA 8/9 not too high priced drag smooth even when wet and will stop just about anything.

Ian
Old 02-11-2005, 09:17 AM

Which sponsors of Flytalk carry these rods? I'm interested in the 10wt. Any ideas on a wt line for the 10 or a certain line?
Old 02-11-2005, 09:49 AM

OC,
I know Rodbuilders workshop, Baymen outfitters, and the Bear's den carry them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.