A celebrity in our midst!! - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2005, 01:11 PM

A celebrity in our midst!!

Canada Post is releasing a series of specially commissioned stamps with flies made by 4 prominent tiers. Our friend, Rick Whorwood's Jock Scott pattern is one of them. The flies are set against a painted background scene and two of the flies were also chosen to be on a deck of cards--Rick's was also chosen for this!! They will be released on Feb 4, 2005.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2005, 11:47 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thumbs up

WOW! Congratulations Rick - that's quite an honor. All that hard work really paid off.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 01-31-2005, 08:00 AM

That is fantastic! Way to go Rick. Does anyone have a picture they can post of it? I would love to see it.

Charlie.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:37 PM

Exclamation The Fly Stamps

Howdy from Edmonton, AB, Canada,

Yes these are quite impressive stamps indeed. Glad to have found one of the tiers in the midst here. Well done indeed Rick!

As an active member of the Northern Lights Fly Tyers & Fishers of Edmonton we recently embarked on a project to tie up and shadow box each one of the 1988 Philatelic Flies. It was a great surprise to see a new release come out in the midst of our project.

You can view more details about that project below:

http://forum.nlft.org/index.php?showforum=29

As for an image, here is a link to the flies on Canada Post website.

http://www.canadapost.ca/personal/collecting/default-e.asp?stamp=stpdtl&detail=1044

An official Press Release is here: http://www.news.gc.ca/cfmx/CCP/view/en/index.cfm?articleid=123209

As a matter of fact: I was in Calgary this weekend and got Brian Chan to sign six copies of the stamps for a fundraiser event. He did the Aelvin pattern and it was the first time he'd seen the stamp issue too. He told me I also just missed bumping into Rick out there too I believe. Rats!

So, I was now wondering how I might get in touch with him to see if he'd be interested in signing the stamps. Rick, could you email me at 'lance-taylor@shaw.ca' if you were willing to do this? Even more amazing would be samples from each of the tiers.. dare I dream though.

In any case, what really brought me here to these forums was that I am trying to find out the pattern information for the PEI Fly. It's been quite a challenge to track down information on a pattern from the 1860's. A fine addition to the collection. Anyone got that info? I think the pattern was tied by Rob Solo from NF but I have been unable to track him down yet.

Anyways I can see now that after being challenged with the Lady Amherst from the first set.. the Jock Scott will challenge doubly so now.

PS - This is a great link too - http://home.att.net/~kholm/PHLYTYING/index.html and I've started to collect stamps now.. only ones with fish or flies on them mind you... I don't really need another hobby.

Ranger Bob

http://ranger-bob.net

Last edited by RangerBob; 02-07-2005 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:34 PM

I think Rick is off in fishing dreamland but when he gets back . . .

If he doesn't want to sign some flies, Julian and I will hog-tie him for you, in expensive floss no less, until he relents.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:55 PM
President of CAC

Thumbs up

Congratrulations!... That's really an great honor
Old 02-10-2005, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter-s-c
I think Rick is off in fishing dreamland but when he gets back . . .

If he doesn't want to sign some flies, Julian and I will hog-tie him for you, in expensive floss no less, until he relents.

Hi-larious! Appreciate that very much. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.