Another Green Highlander - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2005, 04:01 PM

Another Green Highlander

Green Highlander is one of my favorite presentation flies. Difficult enough to give a good challenge on the vice and a lovely pattern.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1089.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	4390  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2005, 04:28 PM
Pullin' Thread

Lovely.

Am I correct in assuming you fish some of your married wing classics?
Old 01-28-2005, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytyer
Lovely.

Am I correct in assuming you fish some of your married wing classics?
Yes, sometimes. I used them for the special occations...

But I have to admit that most of the time I fish with hairwings.

Fully dressed classics still fish good, especially in medium high water. But I se many who tie the classics for fishing without outher wings and horns and with bad toppings. These elements are the ones that give motion to the classic fly in the water and without them they will be pretty stiff.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:07 PM
Pullin' Thread

Yep, all the components of a classic fly are important. Another thing I've seen a lot of is the very high, broad wing that looks nice in a frame but which swims oddly when fished.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:31 PM

Location: River Ness, River Conon, River Dee, Kyle of Sutherland
Thumbs up Raw talent

McIntyre

First and foremost, what a talent! your flies are as good as I have seen anywhere!

The designs of these original flies look very difficult to say the least. How long on average does it take you to tie one of these babies?

Keep up the good work!!
Old 01-29-2005, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingd0
The designs of these original flies look very difficult to say the least. How long on average does it take you to tie one of these babies?
On a presentation fly I usually spend from 10 to 20 hours. Much of the time is then used on finding the best suited materials for the fly. Especially looking through all the toppings to find the best, could take some time.

On a fully dressed fly for fishing I normally use around 1-2 hours.

I see on your profile that you fishes The River Dee. Are there fishermens who still use the classics there? I will assume that the Dee flies like Akroyd, Glentana and Balmoral is being used but what about Marlodge and Gordon which also are being credited to local past anglers from Aberdeenshire?
I'm going to visit the River Dee in March and I'm planning to have a box of the Dee classics to fish with.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:35 PM

Location: River Ness, River Conon, River Dee, Kyle of Sutherland
I have fished the Dee for a number of years now, and have yet to see flies such as the ones you tie being fished with.

That is not to say that on other beats they are not being used.

We have become very lazy. Willie Gunns, Ally shrimps, cascades and alike are the norm on most Scottish rivers.

It is embarrasing to say the least that there are not more classic tiers over here!

Gordon

Last edited by fishingd0; 01-29-2005 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McIntyre
Are there fishermens who still use the classics there? I will assume that the Dee flies like Akroyd, Glentana and Balmoral is being used but what about Marlodge and Gordon which also are being credited to local past anglers from Aberdeenshire?
I'm going to visit the River Dee in March and I'm planning to have a box of the Dee classics to fish with.
Hi McIntyre It would seem that we sometimes have to bring the classics back home. When I fished the Dee (Park) in Sept. last year I fished almost exclusively with classic featherwings and the river was kind enough to reward me with a fresh 23 lb. hen on a full dressed 2/0 Torrish. Although I tried several patterns that one would associate with the Dee ( Gordon, Green Highlander, Marlodge. Jeanie) it was the Helmsdale fly that did the trick. Perhaps it was the more seasonal colours that tempted the fish (who ever knows ) Getting a chance to fish the Dee was a special treat for me for it was from Deeside that I left as a child, and the river gave me a grand welcome back.
I try to fish the classics as much as I can for both steelhead and Atlantic salmon. With steelhead it is usually spey flies or Dee strips (my all time best fish catcher being The Lady Caroline) and featherwings for salmon. I usually switch to hairwings when conditions call for a fly smaller than #4 as I feel that the sshorter fiber lengths in the wings inhibit the play in the water. Only those who have never seen a full dressed fly at play in the water could beleive that it is stiff or lifeless. Although I do tie for display it is still always with the water and fish in mind(could not agree more with Flytyers comment about the high wing) as all too often we see display flies that seem to have lost touch with their origins.
Good luck with the trip and dont worry as I really don't think that the fish have decided that after a couple of centuries that they dont like featherwings anymore
Ramsay
Old 01-29-2005, 08:01 PM
Pullin' Thread

Muckle Salmon,

You bet only those who have never seen a full dressed feather wing swimming would say such flies are stiff and lifeless. They have plenty of movement.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:19 PM

Thumbs up Green Highlander

Hi Mac,
Awesome!............But....
As I only fish hairwing Waddingtons does anyone have a decent pattern for a Green Highlander hairwing?
Cheers
Cheyenne
Old 02-02-2005, 08:56 PM

Flytyer,

I agree. From my use of full dress fishing flies in Quebec they do have plenty of motion. Tied on doubles they also swim barely under the surface in heavy water. Rather than wake as many hairwings tend to do. They also track perfectly, no flipping or rotating. I am partial to the Green Highlander as it gave me my first MSW salmon. However the Silver Doctor has proven to be very worthy.

Guess I will get off my lazy butt and tie up some for steelhead too.

William
Old 02-02-2005, 10:43 PM

Just got inspired to put down the rabbit strips and marabou and tie up some fancy flies again. Those highlander colors work quite well on our spring fish here in the PNW, infact they work very well!!! I don't think I have ever seen a full dressed highlander tied any better. Olshewsky ties a perfect highlander and Andy Anderson could almost tie it better when he was in the guild and I would say your right there with those guy's. Very nice!!!!
Old 02-02-2005, 11:23 PM
Pullin' Thread

Inland,

Some of my favorites for steelhead are Kate (I prefer Kelson or Maxwell versions), Kelson's Purple Emperor (I've caught quite a few winter fish on this one), and the Lemon Yellow (again I prefer Kelson's version). I also use Silver Blue, Blue Charm, Logie, March Brown, Night Hawk, Sweep, and Kelson's Sun Fly in summer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.