Members in warmer climates - help!

I'm dying up here under all this snow.

Somebody post a fishing report!
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2005, 05:41 PM
tubin' for a bruisin'

Send a message via AIM to flyjkol
Flies are still working in Nebraska, sorta

I was able to catch an 8lb. carp through the ice on a little rubber-legged red squirrel (rethink the warmwater fish label?) . It ran off 3/4 of my spool twice and barely fit through the hole. I thought it was the biggest sunny on record. As for other things a couple decent catfish and a few good sunfish.

There's some weird stuff to be caught through the ice here.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:16 PM
_

Wow, I think that's the first time I've ever heard of any one catching a carp while ice fishing. Must have been quite a surprise!

Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2005, 09:01 PM
spey addict

Send a message via AIM to Moose
To Dble Haul....

....From Sunny California.

How are you, I am fine. All is well here. The sun was shining yesterday and the river was brimming with waterfowl. Honkers and mallards flying up and down the river making quite the racket. The steelhead fishing is sort of slow and with this sun you have to go deep. Swinging nymphs and leeches works alright. The big pond to the east of the house found the rainbows cruising the tops of the weedbeds feeding mid morning til abot 2 oclock. Almost went out in the pontoon boat, but can't pull myself away from the possibillity of a bright chrome steelie. A few more days of sun will put the 'gills in the shallows in a pre spawn mode. High was in the low 50's yesterday. Rain today but not cold. Supposed to be a week of sun after this is over. Might be worth standing in the cattails and short stripping some damsel nymphs in the shallows where you know those bluegills will be showing. Also plenty of water in Laguna creek and the bass and gills will be awful hungry. They otta 'bout smash a chartreuse pooper in the early daylight!

Wish you was here.

And that's how it is in the great central valley of California. Maybe you could get a cheap berreavement flight (due to the loss of you fishing soul) and come on out. I'll show you all the cool spots out on the cattle ranches and delta cuts where it actually may get cold enough to need a sweater!

All the above is TRUE!! Hope it helped.
Life is but a walking shadow. A poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot. Full of sound and fury!! Signifying nothing. May as well go fishing!
Old 01-27-2005, 08:03 AM
Fly chucker

Moose, it did help. Thanks.

As for a bereavement trip, that's already in the works. But I'll be staying up north and (gasp!) fishing through the ice for smelts in a warm shack with family members, just the way I did with my grandfather when I was little.

Thanks for the warm thoughts from California. Sounds great out there right now.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:40 PM
whatchuDewinWitatBuggywip

Send a message via AIM to TheSeph
Arrow you asked for it

ill try not to thumb my nose to much dble BUT since you asked......
I live in on the coast of Georgia. About a week and a half ago we had a 2 week warm weather streak come to an end. It was in the 70s most days for a little longer than the two weeks mentioned. Great weather. I actually heard a cricket chirp a few nights at bedtime. BUt now its in the 50s most everyday as it should be for this time of year.

for the fish. The satlwater didnt really heat up anymore than it would have been expected normally. The redfish(spottail bass/channel bass) and the Stripers(rockfish) are about all thats going on right now with exception to sheepshead (which notably are quite a challenge on fly)

BUT
freshwater largemouth were HOT HOT HOT in the warm snap. Fishing midafternoon to sunset saw lots of action. the bass were after the decievers i was throwing at them. Not much going on for poppers. just minnow imitations. They were VERY active. great couple of days. most evenings i banked 10-15 fish in 2-3 hours or so. nothing for the picture frame though....just solid 1-3 lbers.
but now i wait for spring and for my new rod to arrive next week!!

Im a fisherman so you know i enjoy being sharing a story

and as for the snow? whats that? the only snow i know goes up your nose...j/k

Last edited by TheSeph; 01-27-2005 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I caught some frostbite this morning. Does that count? I didn't even need a rod! It was 1 degree with a light breeze this morning when I left for work. When it's 1, a light breeze makes it feel like your face is going to fall off.

On the good side of things, the float tube I got on eBay just arrived yesterday! I can't wait to get out there and try it out. Unfortunately it doesn't come with an icebreaker attachment...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.