Skill of fishing? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-26-2005, 04:56 PM
fish on.

Skill of fishing?

Hi, I'm new to all this and being the curious person I am, I have a few questions about the skill of fishing.

I am wondering why some of ya'll Flyfish rather than bait fish or flyfish with a spinning rod?

Does it have to do with the skill involved? Is there skill in spinner fishing and bait fishing? does flyfishing make you feel better than other fishermen/women? Do you flyfish because its more challenging?

Any history about why you flyfish rather than fish other ways would be helpfull. Also when did you learn? Did you switch from another kind of fishing?

I always fished with flys in Uinta Lakes using spinners and flys with no fly rod. I enjoyed it but am now learnign the ways of the fly rod. I'm not trying to cause contention, just wondering.

Thanks for your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2005, 05:48 PM

For me its the challenge of catching a fish with a rod that I built and with a fly that I have tied. I like the challenge. There is nothing that beats catching a difficult trout on a size 24 midge fly that I have tied.
I also like the explosive strike of a striper on the hunt. Also, sight fishing to crusing stripers on the flats is a most rewarding experience for me. These are some of the reasons why I like to fly fish.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:10 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: York-Dartmouth-St-Jean-Cap-Chat-Madeleine-Pabos-Grande-Rivière
Moi!!

Hi,
I llike dry fly fishing (especially...) seeing those fish come up for my dry fly is quite a thrill ....... unless I pull my line in too fast!!

But then, I can still fish!!

Also, it's a clean sport ( meaning I don't like touching bait. ) a challenge and a "detente!"

Cheers!

Success with your fishing this year!!

A...

Last edited by QuebecSporting; 01-26-2005 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:17 AM

OMW,

For me, it's the fishing and not the catching. The movements are repetitive requiring, not actual concentration, but a detente.

I like when I arrive on a pool or a run. I'll scout out where I hope there is a Salmon. I don't "think" about casting. I look at the "target" and the fly goes there.

While casting, mending etc, I don't concentrate on the activity. Then again, I don't think about the office, the bills, nothing. If I do, well, I usually end up with a fly stuck in the back of my hat.

It's solitude without loneliness,

... it's quality time with the family. It's anything you want it to be.

Last edited by fcch; 01-27-2005 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:00 AM

bait is too messy and it starts to smell when it gets old.
All kinds of fishing takes skill. A fisherman can learn alot by fishing with different techniques.
Befor I flyfished, I spent most of my fishing time casting plugs in the surf.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I started flyfishing when I was about 10 years old. I have no idea any more why I got into it! I remember my dad going with me to buy a cheapo fly rod, and then he picked me up a nice graphite one somewhere shortly after that (I still have it and use it, best casting rod I've ever used!). He never fly fished, so I don't know where I got the motivation or idea to do it. I was always big into fishing, and so was he. I started spin fishing with him when I was a little kid.

The main reason I stuck with fly fishing is that I caught more fish that way than on spinning tackle. Soon after I started my stepmother got a whole mess of Orvis flies for free (she was head of PR for the New Yorker magazine, and they gave them to her as a gift for something). So I used those for the longest time, mostly Hornbergs. I've probably cast a Hornberg more times than just about anybody on the planet since that's all I used for years for everything from trout to bass to panfish. It's still my go-to fly. So, if it wasn't for those free Hornbergs, I don't know if I'd still be doing it!

I'm very much of an outdoorsman and water fan, and as I got a bit older, fly fishing became a more and more important way to enjoy these things I love. My favorite bodies of water are very small streams, and when fishing these, a fly rod is really the only way to go. I don't care so much about catching big fish, but the challenge and satisfaction of hooking a 6" wild brook trout in a tiny stream just can't be beat!

Overall, for me, there's just something about the challenge of fly fishing, and the peacefulness of it. The peacefulness not only comes from the quietness of using a fly rod, but also from the peaceful places you tend to fish with a fly rod.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:27 AM

i couldn't agree more with scott about the "peacefulness" of the sport. i love being on the water, and there is definitely skill involved in picking up (and catching fish with) a spinning rod or a baitcasting rod (i love those, too... but without the bait)... but somehow a fly rod is that much more "peaceful"... it's repetitive, kind of therapeutic in that way, it requires a lot of thought and insight. and i am usually sight-fishing, which is a whole other thing, entirely. one ff magazine calls it "the quiet sport"--and that somehow fits it really well. using a fly rod is just somehow more intimate... there is a tighter connection to the water, nature, and your quarry. i hope this explains it a little better.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:07 PM

I met a young guy who was asking for information, which I gave willingly. Asking about flyfishing, about how to catch fish and how to catch big fish and very much where to catch them. That last question came back over and over. He just wanted to CATCH big fish, in the fastest way possible and with the least of effort. To me that is the opposite of flyfishing.

The road towards that sought for fish in the way you meant it to be, with the fly you meticulously tied and in the spot you wanted that fish to be caught is fly fishing. Quality above quantity, ease of mind, excitement without stress.

I think we all have our memories about a certain catch. How often is it an easy catch instead of that one where you had to put in all your skills. Often it is not the biggest one, nor the most.

Spending time with friends on flytying, seeking the best rod, reel or whatever gadget. Fishing, with just that little friendly competition, but also making sure that the one guy that did not catch anything yet still does. Sharing the fun.

Coming home after a days fishing, relaxed, children on your lap. Feeling so good that now you can focus all your attention on them and your wife. No thoughts about everything you still have to do at work.

Can't wait.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:58 PM
tubin' for a bruisin'

Send a message via AIM to flyjkol
Thumbs up Terrific thread

The answer is simple, flyfishing has opened doors for me and has let me fall in love with fishing again. I have always been a spinning and bait casting fisherman, but now a days I only fish with these at bass tournaments. Making and building tackle has always been an important thing to me whether tying jigs or carving plugs to now tying flies and building rods. Picking up a flyrod for the first time was a rebirth to me, no longer was I a very accomplished caster, no longer was I in my comfort zone. Watching a chunky bluegill circling my popper made me feel as if I was five again; floating there with the hunk of foam and feathers, hanging on every moment, yet oddly peaceful and in touch with my surroundings. Watching the bass bug be unloaded upon the definition of power, the foling of a trout with a nymph is pure magic, and the landing of a dryfly is grace.

With every take, miss, jump, and muffed net job, the hunger grows.

This is why I fish.........
Old 01-27-2005, 08:17 PM
Pullin' Thread

Oldmanwinter,

I've been fly fishing since age 5, which is nearly 47 years now. My father fly fished, his friends fly fished, and I just wanted to do what they were doing because it looked like more fun than fishing with a cane pole, worms, and bobber. Dad got me a fly rod for my 5th birthday and I've been fishing with flies almost exclusively ever since.

Although I think it takes more skill to cast a fly rod 50' or longer than to do so with spinning or casting rod, this is secondary to me. However, this doesn't mean it doesn't take skill to fish bait, spinners, or plugs well because it most definitely does take skill to be a good fisherman regardless of the type of angling equipment used. I simply enjoy fly fishing more than other types so that is what I have been doing to the exclusion of other forms of angling for the last 30 years.

I've had friends who were bait fishers, minnow fishers, spin fishers, and plug fishers whom I shared many a hole, run, or riffle with. It makes no difference to me what equipment a person uses. I only ask that the limit their kill and b e courteous and polite to others when astream.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:12 PM
bluegillbob

Smile

OldmanWinter,

I flyfish for the simple reason that I enjoy casting a flyrod...catching a fish is the bonus! I am fascinated with the flyline's ability to defy gravity in flight!

Flyfishing is simple. You can carry minimal gear and be totally equipped! I used to lug a tackle box while using spincast/spinning gear.

Another reason to flyfish : flyfishing is a very effective way to catch fish! I have outcaught people fishing near me using spincast and spinning gear!

Casting a flyrod is an art...spinning and spincast are not in the same class.

Long live the flyrod!
Old 01-31-2005, 08:09 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

For me flyfishing is a personal choice, it befits my thinking on the pursuit of gamefish - it makes me feel I have earned them, not tricked them with bait. I feel I am mastering day by day, not just having luck day by day. And like others I truly love to fly cast, so much that I will go casting as willingly as go fishing.

But I don't expect others to think the same provided they abide by the laws, and if I disagree with the laws then I might fight the laws but not my fellow angler.

Flyfishing provides a certain fulfillment in my life; a wonderful blend of challenge, reward and fresh air that lets me be a grunting cave man on the hunt and a sophisticated artisan etching graceful lines in the air all at the same time. It connects me with something inside that is close to the natural core of being human.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 01-31-2005, 03:58 PM
JD

Question Why

Imagine this scenario if you will. You have been fishing a small stream all morning long. Lugging you tackle box full of hooks, sinkers, a few lures, spinners, a jar of salmon eggs, maybe some worms, a landing net, and a stringer. You have not caught a single fish for all your effert. Not that they are not there. You can see them. Sometimes three or four, huddled together, just laying there. Maybe jumping even. But no matter what you throw at them, they flee in fright. Only to return shortly thereafter but showing no interest at all in your offerings.

You then meet up with a flyfisher. He carries no tackle box. But rather wears this funny looking vest with multiple pockets. Every one bulging, apparently full of something. He wears funny looking sun glasses and a hat pulled down low over his head.

Upon exchanging greetings and inquiries about each others success, you discover that he (she) has been having a great day. Has lost track of how many fish he has caught. Quit counting after the first five or six. But where is the stringer of fish? He has a landing net. (maybe, maybe not) So where are the fish?

The fly fisher says that he has released them. All of them? why? Were they too small, or what? No, explains the flyfisher. The limit is five fish per day. It took an hour to drive up here from the city. Little more than that to catch the first five fish. What is he to do? Quit and go home after so little time? He just got here.

He has come for the solitude, to escape the rat race. To be one with the river. To relax, forget his troubles, or collect his thoughts. Recharge his batteries after a week in the city. Will he keep any of the fish he catches today? Maybe he says. One, maybe two if he is having dinner with a friend tonight. They are not a good after freezing.

So what is he using for bait? Bait??? No Bait. Flies. What kind of fly? Today it happens to be an Elk Hair Caddis. He shows it to you and you are thinking "what the heck is that"? Some kind of tan stuff, what did he say ? Elk hair, what? Tied to the hook?

So now your curiousity is peaked. Worse than the proverbial cat. You ask if you can watch, if he will show you how this is done. O.K. he says. But walk softly, and stay down low, out of sight. He wades out into the stream. What? Wait a minute. He's gonna scare all the fish! He strips out some line and waits, just standing there. There is a splash upstream. Hey, did you see that? A fish just jumped up there.

Well, not really. That was a rise explains the flyfisher. A rather spashy rise,. Which he knows is for a Caddis. See,,,look closely,,,those little tan bugs floating along the seam. They don't stay on the surface very long. They fly off quickly. That is why the fish is in such a hurry to get them.

Still, he waits. Why does he not cast? The fish rises again. The fly fisher begins working out a little line. He make a few false casts. He has the distance gaged. He has the timing gaged. He drops the fly a few feet above the fish. No splash, nothing, just a very soft landing of this tiny hunk of hair on the water. Here it comes, floating on the current. Right down along the edge of the seam, towards where that fish rose.

There is a splash, the rise, the hook set. Very quick, yet gentle. Not the cross his eyes, sock it to him you are used to. The light rod bends, the fish is on. It is played, brought to hand and released. Coooool.

So what is a Caddis you ask? Shake the leaves on that bush and catch one of those things that flies out of there says the flyfisher. Check it out.
A little tan, sometimes gray bug. It's wings laying back along side it's body. Let it go and watch how it flies. Very eratic, clumsey even. But this one was hiding under a leaf. You cast yours upon the water. Why were some hiding under a leaf and some floating on the water?

After a brief lesson on entimology, the flyfisher is on his way. To the next pool, the next fish. And you? You, my friend, are hooked just as surely as that fish.

Last edited by JDJones; 02-01-2005 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Just because
Old 02-05-2005, 11:16 AM
fish on.

Thanks everyone, those were some good insights into flyfishing. Makes me want to go fishing right now! See ya!
Old 02-07-2005, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie
bait is too messy and it starts to smell when it gets old.
All kinds of fishing takes skill. A fisherman can learn alot by fishing with different techniques.
Befor I flyfished, I spent most of my fishing time casting plugs in the surf.
Eddie is wise beyond his years.

I can't ever imagine using bait on a trout stream....

As a de-frocked fly fishing only junky, it's amazing what you can learn from other methods & the positive impact they can have on your fly game.

It's all conditional

Roop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.