LM Bass Flyrod - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2005, 04:42 PM
bluegillbob

LM Bass Flyrod

Hello all,

I'm thinking about a rod to handle LM bass here in NC. A 10lber isn't out of the question. What is a good wt to use? I'd like to throw those big poppers and streamers too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2005, 05:50 PM
_

I use a 7wt rod with 8wt line and it works ok for casting poppers, bass bugs or big rabbit fur flies. An 8 or 9wt would probably be better. Not sure if a 10wt would be necessary. Maybe if you plan to cast really big flies (or small ducks ).

Q
Old 01-25-2005, 07:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I'd go with a 6 or 7 wt. While a 10 lb'er isn't out of the question, most of the fish will probably be under 5 lbs. A 6 or 7 is more than adequate for these bass, and also for casting even the biggest bass bugs, unless you're in a hurricane! And it's also big enough to handle a 10 lb bass. You should also consider how much brush and weeds there are on the water you fish. Trying to keep a big bass out of structure where they're trying to wrap you up will be much easier with a 7 wt. I fish a 4 wt most of the time, even with big bass bugs, and streamers on a sinking line. I'm actually going to switch back to the 5/6 wt I used until a few years ago because I've been fishing bigger flies lately. The 4 wt is just a little too light for this!
Old 01-25-2005, 08:37 PM
tubin' for a bruisin'

Send a message via AIM to flyjkol
I fish bass poppers as much as possible and I am a huge fan of an eight weight or over lined seven weight. I think the key is mainly in the line. Using either a beginner tapers or a designated bassbug line. I've been using my $20 Eagle Claw Moderate 8 Weight with a good old Medalist real, but with a bass bugging taper (by SA I think) And have been throwing plenty of 3" poppers 75+ feet with great consistancy. This rod has taken it's share of five pounders too.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:40 AM
Fly chucker

I fish an 8 wt St. Croix when throwing large poppers and sliders. It can cast the big flies easily, and I can turn big fish away from cover with the backbone of the rod.

I prefer to be a bit on the heavier side than the lighter side when it comes to largemouths. For smallmouths, I'll go with a six wt.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:16 PM
bluegillbob

Smile

I'll probably go with an 8wt or 9wt setup. I catch plenty of smaller LM bass on the 4wt, but I want to catch the bigger ones. A 4lb bass is very common, and 10 lb bass are not out of the question either! There are plenty of big bass down here...and a 5lb bass is not a bragging fish either!

I have a 6wt, but that rod isn't big enough to handle those big poppers and streamers for the bigger bass. I'm thinking of mouse sized flies and 4" streamers too.

I have heard of people using 10wts on LM bass.

Last edited by bluegillbob; 01-26-2005 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:16 AM

I'm a big fan of flyroodding for largemouth here in Minnesota. While light tackle has its place when chasing trout or sunfish, when bass fishing, a heavy rod will get the job done better every time. I use a nine most of the time, but jump to a ten when fishing in heavy pads. When the pads are really thick, or when using really big flies, I've been known to use a #12. You will always catch more fish if your rod is a little too heavy than if its too light.
Chris
Old 01-27-2005, 07:53 PM
bluegillbob

Smile

12wt for LM bass in Minn? I can understand that...there are some big muskies that cruise the shallows up there!

When I think of a 12wt, I think of 100 lb tarpon!
Old 01-28-2005, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildsmallie
I'm a big fan of flyroodding for largemouth here in Minnesota. While light tackle has its place when chasing trout or sunfish, when bass fishing, a heavy rod will get the job done better every time. I use a nine most of the time, but jump to a ten when fishing in heavy pads. When the pads are really thick, or when using really big flies, I've been known to use a #12. You will always catch more fish if your rod is a little too heavy than if its too light.
Chris
Wow, that's some big tackle Chris! The heaviest rod I own is an 8 wt!

It seems like I'm always the guy on the low side of recommendations whenever somebody asks what size to use. Then again, I use a 4 wt for LM bass, so I'm not surprised! I think other people are really starting to rub off on me since I'm switching up to my 5/6 wt for this year. Who knows, maybe I'll even break out the 8 wt for some pad fishing!
Old 01-28-2005, 08:37 AM

We take our bass fishing seriously. If the fish are back in the pads you have to go in after them, and when one eats, you better get it coming your way quick, or it will tie you up. A ten weight doensn't seem like too much rod when you hook a three pound bass 50 feet from open water. A twelve wt probably isn't necessary, but I like to use my tarpon rods more than once a year!
Chris
Old 01-28-2005, 10:12 AM

Bass Rod

My favorite rod for throwing popperís is a 9 wt 3 pc St Croix SCIII. This is a tough rod. Ive tried to brake it and it just hasnít happened yet (six years).

I recently had a look at that new Temple fork Outfitters TiCrX Lefty Kreh signature series 4 pc 12 wt. Man is that a light rod, and fast to. So casting a big popper or a bunny hair fly all day wont break your arm, and you have plenty of back bone to pull your fly out of the weeds.

Natrix
Old 01-30-2005, 05:17 PM

i have been on the hunt for a rod for a bass fly rod as i am heading to brazil in a couple of weeks for peacock bass.i picked up a gloomis eight foot nine weight in the cross current series. it is supposed to be designed especially for that type of fishing.. while i have not yet fished it, i have cast it. it is mighty powerful and extremely fast and stiff. i found that lining it with an 11 wt rio tropical clauser line works best. i cut the head off of the line and spliced it to a .0030 running line. this was the recommendation of simon gauseworth who spent a good deal of time with me on the phone. while i very much like the idea of a shorter stiffer rod with a strong butt section for landing fish cought in weeds and prone to wrapping around all manner of debris, i foud very few short rods in weights above 6. other than the crosscurrent the only others i found are bass pro shop's gold cup extreme, but i have yet to try one.like the gloomis they are advertised for mangrove type fishing for snook and bass etc,in weights 7-10 in lengths 7'9" to 8'6". has anyone out there tried any of them or know of any other manufacturers of such specialty rods?'
Old 01-30-2005, 09:48 PM

nmbrowncom,

You might be able to pick up an 8.5 foot, 8-wt. Sage RPLX used on eBay. From how you describe the Loomis, that Sage should be easier to cast and has plenty of backbone. My $0.02.

Last edited by Smolt; 01-30-2005 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:22 AM
bluegillbob

Smile

Teflon,

I see you use a 4wt for LM bass up there. I used to live up north, and the LM bass don't get very big up there. A 4wt will work up there, but down here, the LM bass grow bigger. I've caught plenty of smaller LM bass on my 4wts down here. I've lost too many bigger bass because my 4wts were not strong enough to turn a large bass from the weeds.

I may forego the 8wt and get a 10 wt. I'd hate to lose a big bass in the weeds!
Old 01-31-2005, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegillbob
Teflon,

I see you use a 4wt for LM bass up there. I used to live up north, and the LM bass don't get very big up there. A 4wt will work up there, but down here, the LM bass grow bigger. I've caught plenty of smaller LM bass on my 4wts down here. I've lost too many bigger bass because my 4wts were not strong enough to turn a large bass from the weeds.

I may forego the 8wt and get a 10 wt. I'd hate to lose a big bass in the weeds!
I've also done entirely shore and wade fishing for LM bass, so I haven't honestly hooked anything huge on the 4 wt! I think the biggest bass was maybe 16" and 1.5 lbs, which was a handful on the rod. I bought a float tube recently and will be going after bigger fish in deeper water, so I'll be moving my rod size up to the 5/6, and maybe even carry along my 8 wt too. I've never been a huge fan of big poppers but I'm going to be trying them out a lot this year on some new water so I'll need the bigger rods. I've also been experimenting with tying some Sluggo and worm imitation flies, and they're monsters that'll probably need the 8 wt to really launch them.

I hear you about the big bass down your way! I wish we had fish like that up here. Anything over 1.5 lbs up here is a nice bass!

Last edited by teflon_jones; 01-31-2005 at 08:14 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.