New guy questions - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2005, 02:10 AM

New guy questions

Hey everyone. I've lived in a big city all my life but at heart the wilderness is where I belong. I took the leap, quit my job, sold my cars, and now I'm on my way to a campsite in colorado about eight miles away from the Colorado river to work as a camp host. I would like nothing more then to spend the next couple of years fly fishing on the Colorado but there is one problem with that plan. I have no idea what-so-ever how to fly fish. I am incredibly eager to learn the ropes, so any advice or info would be of help. I'd especially like to know what gear would be the best choice for a beginner and if there are any books you can recommend on the subject. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2005, 05:53 AM

I live in the metro Denver area and am wondering what campsite you will be hosting. I would be willing to meet up with you and share a few things, especially if you will be somewhere in the middle park area. Let me know and I will fill you in on shops in the area you will be.
Best.

John
Old 01-24-2005, 07:24 AM

Wow! Big move. While you can get tons of good information here, I recomend starting up a relationship with the local shop as they will be able to answer so many questions that are specific to your area. As for good books, Gary Borger has written perhaps the most complete book "Presentation". There is another book called (I think) "Flyfishing:First Fish to First Catch". Lefty Kreh also has written a couple of books that are complete surveys.
Welcome to the Forum.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:29 PM
Junkyard Spey

Hey Jackjumperfish...

You should take "fishinfool" up on his offer. Local information from and "all around nice guy". What more could you want.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:04 AM

Hey guys, sorry for the delay in response. That is an awesome offer by Fishinfool. The campsite I'll be hosting is about two hours away from Pueblo, near Buena Vista. I won't actually start untill the end of May when the season begins, but if you're in the area, it would be great to go fishing sometime with someone who knows their stuff. Let me make a couple of clearifications. (I'm kinda learning about my new job as I go along) The river will actually be three miles away from the campsite, I forget what the actual name of it is but it isn't the Colorado. From what I hear though, it's great for fishing. I found a great little mom and pop fly fishing shop in my area I'm going to check out this weekend. Thanks for the advice everyone.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:51 AM

Sounds to me like you will be on the Arkansas river. If you can work it out, I would come by the middle of May, as there is a Mothers Day Caddis hatch on the river that is world famous. You are going to be on one of the best rivers in Colorado. I will come down to see you when you get set up. Looking forward to meeting you.
Best.
John
Old 01-28-2005, 07:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Boy I really envy you! I would love to get away from civilization and into the country. I grew up on a farm, and moved to the city to go to college. Now I've moved to the stereotypical house in the suburbs. At least I'm close to some good fishing!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.